Parallel feeds which are grouped together by phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Even when using PVC, the steel locknut that is common to use with PVC, would have magnitization issues. So one would need to make sure to use plastic locknuts. I wasn't sure if it was non-ferrous, or non-metallic that matters.

The way I see the rules on isolated phase, it seems like it is a better practice just to avoid it all together.

Another example I've seen, is the DC equivalent of isophase. Isolated polarity installations. There is no magnetic heating that would occur, only a steady magnetic field in the conduit. I remember specifying a 1 1/4" conduit to take 6 DC conductors. It ended up getting built with two 1" conduits, and the positives in one, with negatives in the other.
A bottomless cabinet on a larger capacity run like Bob posted is ideal situation to run all conductors of one phase in the same conduit. Ampacity adjustment does need to be considered though like he said.

If you do pass through a steel cabinet wall - a slot needs cut between openings which effectively makes them equivalent to one opening - but also need to avoid steel locknut, or you will magnetize that locknut.

I could be wrong, but other metals like aluminum, stainless, brass, copper will have some magnetic effects, but anything with iron in it will have much more of an effect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I could be wrong, but other metals like aluminum, stainless, brass, copper will have some magnetic effects, but anything with iron in it will have much more of an effect.
But you are only required to cut slots in ferrous metal.

I am working on a cable bus system now, and the individual conductors will go through aluminum cable glands in an aluminum plate at each end.

kwired

Electron manager
But you are only required to cut slots in ferrous metal.

I am working on a cable bus system now, and the individual conductors will go through aluminum cable glands in an aluminum plate at each end.
yes, I knew that but didn't mention it. Requirement for ferrous metal, not about your cable bus system:)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
In the bottom pic there are 2 raceways entering the top of the enclosure. the number of conductors in these violates 310.10(H)(3).
In the same pic 4 EGC's enter the bottom, only one is terminated to the enclosure. Violation of 310.10(H)(2)(5).
(2014)

kwired

Electron manager
In the bottom pic there are 2 raceways entering the top of the enclosure. the number of conductors in these violates 310.10(H)(3).
In the same pic 4 EGC's enter the bottom, only one is terminated to the enclosure. Violation of 310.10(H)(2)(5).
(2014)
I think all 4 EGC'c hit the enclosure, just for some reason one of them hits the back wall behind the yellow taped leads - and not sure where it continues on to, and the rest go to the multiple terminal block mounted on the right wall of the cabinet - but appears to be bonded to the cabinet via it's mounting method. My bigger concern as I mentioned before is there is no EGC ran through the PVC raceways out the top. If this is a feeder entering a building - there is no EGC continuity between the feeder and the MDP. Or if it is a feeder leaving a building then there is no continuity to the EGC at the other end of the feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.