peninsula rec req.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Paul, the problem I have with this concept is, as I have said many times, the amount of counterspace being covered is no different in your examples yet an extra recep. is needed if there is wall countertop space.

The other concept I have trouble with is why isn't the connecting edge the same in both examples? Where in the code does it define the difference that you described? I don't see it. If the connecting edge is the wall in one then it can and should be the connecting edge in the other. Why require an extra outlet in the first example-- the logic is flawed, IMO.

stjohnbarleycorn

I talked to the inspector here and he counts the first 2' of the peninsula as counter top, which requires a rec. and then the peninsula requires one. I am going with the silytite rec. thanks for the help.

radiopet

Paul, the problem I have with this concept is, as I have said many times, the amount of counterspace being covered is no different in your examples yet an extra recep. is needed if there is wall countertop space.

The other concept I have trouble with is why isn't the connecting edge the same in both examples? Where in the code does it define the difference that you described? I don't see it. If the connecting edge is the wall in one then it can and should be the connecting edge in the other. Why require an extra outlet in the first example-- the logic is flawed, IMO.

I am not sure I gather what you are saying. The connecting edge can be to a counter or to a wall...either what they are both considered the connecting edge when determining the requirements. The issue is that you have counter space receptacle requirements and peninsular placement is yet another thing. As you would not count the receptacles required by NEC 210.52(A) to meet NEC 210.52(C) much less NEC 210.52(C)(3). Point is I see it....not sure why you do not but alas opinions are something you are entitled to. FYI this article was verified and viewed by Mr. Carpenter of the IAEI as well as Mr. Johnson as well before publication so they seem to agree.....as I agree in it's specific statements.

As for the connection edge....I believe it does apply the same way as the allowance of the receptacle below the countertop is specific to when it is allowed in all cases so I am not sure where you are misguided on...sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.