Permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
The sad truth is, that with just a little fib ("I did it") , the homeowner could permit themselves in many parts of TN.

I have heard stories from inspectors where they were inspecting work that was "supposably" done by a homeowner that filed their own permit (which was acceptable), but when asking the owner questions about the installation, the owner kept giving him the deer in the headlights look and his carpenter buddy would keep butting in, answering most of the questions for him. I bet you can't tell who did the electrical work on that project.

wawireguy

Problem with this is if you pulled the permit you wouldn't want to "pretend" the work was yours. You would be pulling the permit to so you could inspect, and have the inspector inspect the work done and you would basicaly be taking some ownership of it. If that was all copasetic with everyone I'd do it for a nominal fee. Open the j-boxes, inspect the conections and wiring methods. Have a clause that anything not meeting code has to be brought up to code by you.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Are you sure that is not a local issue and not state?
If you have a chance can you post the code section.

I found the section I think it's 19825 HS

It's 7044 of the Business and Professions Code. It talks about the owner of the property. Now some jurisidctions do make it more restrictive so that's where the local issue comes in.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It's 7044 of the Business and Professions Code. It talks about the owner of the property. Now some jurisidctions do make it more restrictive so that's where the local issue comes in.

From what I intrpet about thiose sections of the law is YES the owner can provide the permit But if the project is not a single family residential structures the owner must not do the work himself. The owner must contract with licensed contractors.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have heard stories from inspectors where they were inspecting work that was "supposably" done by a homeowner that filed their own permit (which was acceptable), but when asking the owner questions about the installation, the owner kept giving him the deer in the headlights look and his carpenter buddy would keep butting in, answering most of the questions for him. I bet you can't tell who did the electrical work on that project.

We must talk to the same inspector. I am sure that never happens any where else.:)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
From what I intrpet about thiose sections of the law is YES the owner can provide the permit But if the project is not a single family residential structures the owner must not do the work himself. The owner must contract with licensed contractors.

On our permits they sign a declaration that says. "I, as owner of the property, or my employees with wages as their sole compensation, will do (_) all of or (_) portions of the work." or "I, as owner of the property, am exclusively contracting with licensed contractors to the construct the project."

Again that all come from the B&P Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.