phone and power in the same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

Al, what is your opinion about the elevator cable in the previous post of mine? I am just curious and really respect your advice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
al hildenbrand said:
Huh?

Sure I did. I just didn't answer what you thought you were asking.

I'm staying with the OP and 800.133(A)(1)(c), that is, raceways.

Sure they're conductors. But by your logic, the phone conductors in a cable are a cable and therefore the phone cable is not a conductor and must be OK with THHN in a raceway.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. So rather than have someone interpret what I'm saying I will try to say it more clearly. THHN and a phone cable cannot be installed in a raceway together since power conductors are not permitted with the phone cable in a raceway. NM cable and a phone cable are permitted together in the same raceway because conductors and cable are not the same thing.

By your logic phone cables and NM cannot be in the same bored hole in a stud since 800.133(A)(2) requires a 2" separation between communication cables and light and power conductors.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Trevor,

I don't see a permission to run the phone and NM cable with less than 2" of separation in 800.133(A)(2)(a) where there is no raceway as being the exclusion of certain types of conductors in raceways (the conductors within NM that, in turn, is in a raceway) from the rule of 800.133(A)(1)(c).

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
infinity said:
THHN and a phone cable cannot be installed in a raceway together since power conductors are not permitted with the phone cable in a raceway.
I don't see the use of "cable" in 800.133(A)(1)(c). If I read, there, "communication conductors and cables" I'd understand how you are citing NEC in support of your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.