Photo Cell in Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Can a photo cell be mounted inside a weatherproof panel for house lighting? I've been asking for a bell box under the panel stating that the panel is not listed for the application. Am I wrong??

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
triphase said:
why would one install a photo cell "inside" a panel?
Okay, how about poking it through a KO?

While it could be argued that it's not a listed way of doing it, I think it'd be better than the bellbox, really; more weather resistant.

triphase

Larry I was joking why would You install "INSIDE" the panel "PHOTO CELL" it won't work.......and Yes I do Install them "ON" the panel....with gasket

Cavie

These are mounted inside the panel with the eye sticking out and the round gaskets installed. usually thru the bottom.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I agree with Trevor's implication: Cite a code reference.

I'm going to say it: It's done all the time. :)

Can we install SWD breakers in a panel? They are switches too. ;)

To me it's just like the one's that say you can't make a wire connection inside a panel, a panel is not a raceway! It is a junction box, so why not treat it as such. If I'm wrong please tell me becuase I havn't found in the code I'm wrong.

Minuteman

There is nothing wrong with putting a listed photo cell in a NEMA 3 enclosure. Our friend Cavie is a novice inspector and is sorting out the myths and urban legends of "can you do this", by playing the devils advocate.

Like he says, "Please correct me if I am wrong, I am here to learn."

Keep 'em coming Cavie!

dduffee260

We do this sometimes also. If you really want to make friends with the POCO then put a photocell on the side of their sealed meter socket. That way when you have to work on the photocell you can cut the sealed tag.

tufts46argled said:
To me it's just like the one's that say you can't make a wire connection inside a panel, a panel is not a raceway! It is a junction box, so why not treat it as such. If I'm wrong please tell me becuase I havn't found in the code I'm wrong.

You can make as many splices inside a breaker panel as long as it does not exceed 75% of the fill area.

Wait til you get to hook up an emergency transfer switch on a residence.
Splice City!

Jim W in Tampa

dduffee260 said:
We do this sometimes also. If you really want to make friends with the POCO then put a photocell on the side of their sealed meter socket. That way when you have to work on the photocell you can cut the sealed tag.
Dont think that would fly.You would now have unfused in same raceway as fused

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Jim W in Tampa said:
dduffee260 said:
Dont think that would fly.You would now have unfused in same raceway as fused
Agreed, 230.7 would preclude an offset nipple being used for both. :)

dduffee260

But Jim, the meter would too be fused. We just had a lightning storm here tonight and I helped the Xcel Energy man change one out on the pole. I was a 2 amp fuse on a 15kva pot on a 12470/7200 line but still was a fuse. Can't we get creative in the fusing department?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
dduffee260 said:
But Jim, the meter would too be fused. We just had a lightning storm here tonight and I helped the Xcel Energy man change one out on the pole. I was a 2 amp fuse on a 15kva pot on a 12470/7200 line but still was a fuse. Can't we get creative in the fusing department?
I feel my leg being pulled on two counts.

kbsparky

SOME photocells are not meant to be installed "upside down"

I believe that some TORK models have problems with operation when installed that way. The nipple is not sealed, and any moisture that enters in can't leave, and you eventually end up with a bad eye full of water.

We "fixed" that problem with some clear caulk on a couple of occasions, so be aware that orientation can make a difference.

Cavie

Minuteman. You are correct. I am trying to sort out what is code and what is urban legend. I have 35 years experiance in residental wireing in two counties in Florida. I learned how to keep the inspectors happy and never had a turn down inspection. Now I am forced to do it the NEC way and not the local gods way. There is a big differance. Hittinig the books at 55 is trying. When I can't find the answer I am looking for, I turn to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.