Pimp My Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: Pimp My Ride

George,
Photo Bucket?s web site is down. This may be why his pictures are not showing.

Magoo?
I hope they get back up real soon because I was going to copy the picture of the crane because the crane brought back memories.
Thanks for the memories.
:)

davedottcom

Yea, that Crane is cool! :)

I suggest they fire it up & use it to start picking up some of that crap and dropping it all into a big dumpster though! :D

Sparky, I don't know how you can handle working out of that truck. That would drive me crazy! Not even a cap for when it rains! :D
Dave

peter d

Originally posted by sparky_magoo:
Are you implying that I am less of an electrcian because the back of my truck and our yard look like train wrecks?
No, I never said you were any less of an electrician. What I would be concerned about is the kind of work that you do. If any tradesman showed up at my house with a truck looking like that, I would be very concerned about the type of work that they might do on my house. I believe that the principle of "messy truck = messy electrician" holds true 95% of the time. Yes, there are exceptions but they are few and far between.

As far as the shop goes, I don't have a problem with the crane so much as the piles of junk, and neon signs that look 30 years old. That stuff should have been put in a dumpster years ago.

You can't seriously tell me the owner is saving that stuff because he could install it somewhere???

Sorry if you don't like what I'm saying but I'm only telling the truth. The harsh reality is that people will judge you on your appearance, and that's not going to change.

[ October 05, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

iwire

Staff member

I took a picture of the back of my van today when I arived at the job.

I will post it when I can.

I don't think Peter is gonna like it. :D

peter d

Originally posted by sparky_magoo:
I'm not proud of a sloppy truck.
Ok, that's good to hear. So why don't you take an hour or two every week to go through the mess and organize it? Why don't you suggest to your boss that you take "shop time" every week to clean and organize the shop and trucks?

allenwayne

Ok, that's good to hear. So why don't you take an hour or two every week to go through the mess and organize it? Why don't you suggest to your boss that you take "shop time" every week to clean and organize the shop and trucks?

Oh that`s a good one :D ;)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter d:
What's your point Allen?
I think the point is cleaning the truck does not make us money.

Yes it can cost us some lost time.

Here is my take.

As far as my truck I am the only one using it, I know what have and where it is.

A job site is another issue altogether, then the stock must be neat and organized so people that come to the job can find what they need easily.

One advantage to the van is no one can see inside mine. I keep the outside looking good and the dash is always clean as that shows outside.

peter d

Fair enough Bob. We can agree to disagree. If you work solo I can see your point of view, although it would probably drive me crazy. :D I am a very picky about keeping things neat and organized, and I like take time to keep it that way.

peter d

Originally posted by iwire:
Hey whatever you want to do on your time is A-OK. :D
Well, not exactly. :p I have worked for ECs who took time to organize the trucks before we left every morning. There is no way I would do that on my own time.

sparky_magoo

The looks of my truck have nothing to do with my work. We are an obsessively clean shop. We do a total clean up each day. Our work is clean, neat and above code. Every day, I put all of my waste (wire scraps) into garbage bags an haul the waste back to the shops dumpsters. I am not a slob. Yes, my truck is a wreck.

BTW, the crane is fully operational despite of the rust.

Right now, we are installing a 4000 amp service for a winery. I am not yet involved with the project. Tonight, I heard discussion about using the crane for the overhead service drop. The controversy seems to be how we are going to hook up the fire pump ahead of the service. City water won't provide enough pressure to run the stand pipe. The city wants the winery to install
an underground storage tank to provide adequate water pressure in case of fire. The winery wants to use their olympic swimming pool as a water storage system for the fire pump. Poco won't let us tap the fire pump ahead of the meter. My boss is trying to figure out how to tap, for the fire pump, in between the meter and the main disconnect. Will the tap be fused? The AHJ can't decide. What size wire to tap with? It will have to be about twice locked rotor current for the pump. If there is a problem with the pump, it will have to burn without tripping an OCPD. These are the things our shop is negotiating. Whatever the outcome, I am the mechanic who will make it happen. Please do not judge me on the appearance of my truck. I do more than rope homes.

[ October 05, 2005, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: sparky_magoo ]

peter d

Originally posted by jwelectric:
If you worked for me you would or you wouldn't work for me.
:roll:
Well Mike, all I can say is that everyone does things differently. To each their own. Around here, witholding pay because the van isn't clean will soon find you without any employees.
:roll:

jwelectric

I was waiting for a response just so I could say

I work alone right now.
:D :D :D

[ October 05, 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

sparky_magoo

You know what JW? My boss won't pay me to clean my ride. Every day, I show up at the shop, after work, to discuss every little detail of my day. We also talk about jobs in progress, hence the winery situation. If you think I am going to clean my truck on my own time, you bumped your head. I give my boss an average of one hour of extra time every day. We discuss things. He will not pay me to clean my truck and I will not do it on my own time. I make way above average wages around here. I am greatful for that. I will not clean my truck on my own time.
My wage is based upon my experience, if the boss wants his truck cleaned he can pay me to do it.

BTW I park my truck in the warahouse every night.
I live close to the shop, so it is no big deal. I could bring the truck home each night, but that would mean I am part of the on-call rotation. I was on-call when I started here, it sucks. We have many old-time clients. I got called out to two different restaurants to fix problems. The overloaded ckt.s in these places weren't problems I was willing to deal with at night. Hence, I park my truck in the warehouse. The bottom line is, I will not clean the truck on my time if I don't drive it home each night

peter d

For what it's worth, I stand behind everything I've said in this thread, and I don't back down from any of it.

Sparky, I appreciate what you've said and I emphasize the point I made earlier:

Originally posted by peter d:
Yes, there are exceptions
Bob (Iwire) has revealed he drives a Rat Mobile (on the inside at least.) Now, I have not seen Bob's work but I am very familiar with his company and the kind of jobs they do. They do nothing but first rate work, and I have no doubt that Bob is a first rate electrician. So it only proves my point that there are exceptions to the "messy truck" rule. :)

Now Sparky and Bob, clean up that mess, or no paycheck for you!! :D

[ October 06, 2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: peter d ]

Status
Not open for further replies.