Pipe Bending Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

pridelion

i am looking for someone who has a pipe bending video they are done with that they could give me or loan to me for awhile to view it. Would anyone be able to help with this? Thank you,

celtic

I "learned" how to "bend" pipe on the job....what a mistake that was!

The guy who was "teaching" me had no training in the art of pipe bending (yes, it is an art). Eventually, I had formal training and some top-notch JW show me more than a book ever could....but these guys also had formal training and years and miles of pipe under thier belts.

I was talking to someone about bending just today....
He says: 4" RMC is easy
I said: Yup...even easier han 1/2" EMT

...at that point a helper walked by and started laughing (at me)....the helper says: "You guys are right...I watched Celtic bend 3 bend saddles in some big pipe w/no problem....and also saw him mangle a stick of 1/2" EMT" :D

LOL

emahler

mdshunk said:
That was unfair.

why? i was being serious...i can bend pipe as well as most...but there is much i just do from experience and by eye...i don't know most of the formulas and couldn't teach anyone how to do this...so honestly, one day, i'm going to really learn how to bend pipe...

emahler

celtic said:
I "learned" how to "bend" pipe on the job....what a mistake that was!

The guy who was "teaching" me had no training in the art of pipe bending (yes, it is an art). Eventually, I had formal training and some top-notch JW show me more than a book ever could....but these guys also had formal training and years and miles of pipe under thier belts.

I was talking to someone about bending just today....
He says: 4" RMC is easy
I said: Yup...even easier han 1/2" EMT

...at that point a helper walked by and started laughing (at me)....the helper says: "You guys are right...I watched Celtic bend 3 bend saddles in some big pipe w/no problem....and also saw him mangle a stick of 1/2" EMT" :D

LOL

ditto here...when i'm on site, i can send the apprentice up in the lift, give me a couple of measurements, and i'll give him a piece of pipe to fit (almost) perfect....but I don't know how to measure it correctly...i just know how to bend it...but I don't mangle 1/2" (then again, it's been about 4-5 yrs since I've done anything but a 90 or a box set in a piece of 1/2":D

emahler

celtic said:
...in the meantime - hide that pile o' bones from the boss :D

I have a length of 4" EMT behind the shop that one of our guys kinked while trying to put an offset in it...every now and again I take it out to make him feel bad:D

76nemo

Bending pipe.

Bending pipe.

How many of you use Benfield's technique? How many of you bend by thumbpoint and don't leave a mark? I don't have the skill to not leave a mark at a bend. I've seen guys not even use a tape. Reminds me I do maintenance, not construction. I can fit the pipe like a glove, but you guys would be two branches ahead of me:confused:

celtic

emahler said:
I have a length of 4" EMT behind the shop that one of our guys kinked while trying to put an offset in it...every now and again I take it out to make him feel bad:D

That's just mean...LMAO.

I had been on a job with a bunch of old timers...most were a little light in the back pocket department, they had a pile of 1" EMT bones off to the side - all kinked up or otherwise fubar'ed...so along comes the dumb, strong helper (me)....the old timers say: Hey Ironhead....bend us a 90?
I bent one w/o a kink and I was their "boy" for quite a few days...everytime I was within earshot..."HEY IRONHEAD...."
LOL

It was actually a fun job inspite of the abuse tossed my way :smile:

celtic

76nemo said:
How many of you use Benfield's technique?
I use a rather bizarre mix of techniques ..some "learned", some "taught", some "developed"(by me)....works well for me.....just stand back! Pipe and benders and always spinning about - nothing is just "placed" down, always a little "flourish" to it :smile: (unless it's the 4" RMC)

mdshunk

76nemo said:
How many of you use Benfield's technique?
That's the method I use most often, unless it's bigger RMC. I suppose that since you asked, you already know that the Benfield method has some inaccuracies. Not really enough to worry about in EMT for most day-to-day sizes.

I do have a Tom Henry conduit bending video someplace that I remember was pretty decent. I'll try to hunt it up later tonight for the OP and forward it his direction.

76nemo

mdshunk said:
That's the method I use most often, unless it's bigger RMC. I suppose that since you asked, you already know that the Benfield method has some inaccuracies. Not really enough to worry about in EMT for most day-to-day sizes.

I do have a Tom Henry conduit bending video someplace that I remember was pretty decent. I'll try to hunt it up later tonight for the OP and forward it his direction.

Let's speak of those inaccuracies. How deep do you want to go?

electricalperson

i mostly use the bendfield technique and i use some of my own technique and it works for me. never really have too much scrap after im done piping except for a few 2 inch pieces cut off

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
never really have too much scrap after im done piping except for a few 2 inch pieces cut off
Yes, that happens from time to time, but some people make that a regular part of their bending routine. I worked with a guy some number of years back who did that on darned near every tough bend. Make the bend someplace in the middle of the pipe, and cut off one or both ends to fit. That just never sat too well with me. Sure, I've done that a few times myself, but I take a certain amount of pride in knowing how to do it right and bending it to fit properly the first go round.

e57

76nemo said:
How many of you use Benfield's technique? How many of you bend by thumbpoint and don't leave a mark? I don't have the skill to not leave a mark at a bend. I've seen guys not even use a tape. Reminds me I do maintenance, not construction. I can fit the pipe like a glove, but you guys would be two branches ahead of me:confused:

Yes and yes, sometimes use a tape, sometimes I don't - Depends on my mood and the situation. I will disagree that it is an "art" for most things, there is a certain amount of imagination required, but for the most part it is skill based IMO. Taking a conduit for point A to B is not an art - taking 30 to the rest of the alfabet can be - but still requires that you have some skills. And skills can be learned - and art can also be learned IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.