PLC wiring in Class I Div 2 locations

not_a_EE

New User
Occupation
mechanical engineer
I'm building an enclosure for a PLC that will be located in a Class I Div 2 location, and I have some questions on implementation to ensure I'm following NEC correctly. The PLC IO is pretty simple, just solenoid valves and sensors (no motors). All of it is 24VDC. I'm assuming the enclosure does not need to be an ex proof enclosure since it's a Div 2 location (assuming all the components and wiring are spec'd correctly).
  1. The power supplies I'm looking at take 120VAC in and supply 24VDC/10A to the PLC. The power supplies are marked Class I Div 2. I can't find a control drawing, so I assume they are not non-incendive. These are typical DIN rail power supplies with screw terminals for the 120VAC and 24DC connections. I'm thinking of 2 options for wiring the 120VAC side:
    1. Run conduit to the enclosure, have a conduit seal at the boundary to the unclassified location, and terminate the wiring on the 120VAC side of the power supply (Class 1 Div 2 circuit breaker, first, actually) in the enclosure. 501.15(B)(2)
    2. install an ex proof receptacle on the enclosure have a SO cord with ex proof plug to power the enclosure's power supply. 501.17(E)(3)
    3. The wiring inside the enclosure from the breaker to the power supply will be typical UL508A wiring (THHN single conductor, for example)
  2. I can't seem to find anything in the NEC about the 24VDC wiring inside the enclosure. I assume UL508A wiring will be sufficient inside the enclosure for Class 1 Div 2? (THHN routed, spaced, and sized appropriately, for example)
  3. I thought it would be good to protect each sensor and solenoid with its own fuse or circuit breaker. 501.105(B)(5) says that the fuse needs to be proceeded by a switch complying with 501.105(B)(2). If all the PLC I/O cards are rated for Class I Div 2, should I scrap this idea? I wanted to protect the instruments with 0.5A fuses, but the I/O cards all have their own internal protections, and the switch preceding the fuse seems to be cost/space prohibitive for the enclosure. It would be easier to just purge the enclosure instead of adding the switches. Are there any other options I'm missing?
  4. The I/O is a mix of Class I Div 2 and IS. Not sure if this matters much for the above questions (understanding that there are wiring methods, wire types, and spacing requirements for all of this as well).
My goal with the post is to get the design to 80-90% so that a proper electrical engineer can finish the work. I just want to make sure what I want to do is physically possible.