Pole base anchor bolts

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Have cast on pace pole bases and the GC is asking me to provide the anchor bolts. Have any of you guys installed these before? What's involved to set them/install them correctly? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's cast in place bases, meaning they will be formed and the concrete will be poured?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've used plywood too. Bolt-star makes a nice jig.

41QQhCClHqL._AC_.jpg

tburdick

Occupation
journeyman
Why does the GC want them?
That is our (electricians') work.
"Keep a your hands off"
Give away your work, you don't get it back.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why does the GC want them?
That is our (electricians') work.
"Keep a your hands off"
Give away your work, you don't get it back.
I think it is "provide the anchor bolts" as in "install them as part of the electrical work at the pole base", not as in "give me the anchor bolts so I can install them".
Maybe the OP can clarify that.

If someone asked me "Provide the anchor bolts." I'd hand them over and say "Here ya go, and here's the spacing spec for the poles."

If they said "Place the bolts before the bases are poured." that would be a little different.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If someone asked me "Provide the anchor bolts." I'd hand them over and say "Here ya go, and here's the spacing spec for the poles."

If they said "Place the bolts before the bases are poured." that would be a little different.
I am extrapolating from the OP questioning how to do it after using that phrase.

tburdick

Occupation
journeyman
I think it is "provide the anchor bolts" as in "install them as part of the electrical work at the pole base", not as in "give me the anchor bolts so I can install them".
Maybe the OP can clarify that.
I mean constructing and setting pole bases and poles are electricians' work.
Not laborers.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Its the concrete guys job... we provide the templates, material, pipe and location. Possibly the boring but that is usually discussed at foreman meetings.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Not the concrete guys job in my world. Never had a concrete guy do anything with pole bases other than give me a phone number for his favorite redi mix plant. And those plastic concrete bolt jigs are worth every dollar you pay for them.
Wait till you get to the big jobs. Your world doesnt concern others reality....

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Oh the big jobs. Like where they have lots of guys walking around with hard hats and those big tool boxes that have doors that swing open. I've always wanted to see what one of those looks like on the inside.
What does that mean? For a moderator on a site dedicated to the nec and electrical contracting, you seem to be anti- academic...
If you work for a company that bores, builds cages, sets proper grade/finished height and pours 500 light poles all the power to you.
Or, you are not thinking things through tonight!
Its ok, dave...ill work with ya.

Hard hats and tool boxes are sorta necessary..