Poll for Inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Augie they way I see it I guess is that to change a code compliant installation to an inspector compliant installation will cost me money this time and the next time and so on. Get the inspector on the right track and the issue will likely not come up again for me or for the next guy.

Inspectors are not knowers of all and neither am I. Before I "fight" I make darn sure I know what I am talking about. Some of these guys should spend some time here and learn a few things. It certainly has helped me.

I should also say that these days it is rare that I have an issue with an inspector. The last one I can think of was last summer when the inspector insisted the bond wire had to go around the bottom of an above ground pool so it was close the the earth in order to ground the pool. He actually wanted me to lay the wire in the sand that went around the pool for a good earth connection. Needless to say the bond wire stayed right where it was as he "let it go this time" :grin:

M. D.

georgestolz said:
I have a hard time believing that!
tongue.gif
Yeah me too.

6' of #8 -grnd clamp and 10 minuets is about $20.00, that ain't worth much argument .Scott may rather fight ,...Hell, I would rather fight , but I'd bet He doesn't not for that amount of money.The wrong kind of inspector can cost a guy 5 times that and never leave his chair.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
M. D. said:
georgestolz said:
electricmanscott said:
I'd rather fight. :smile:
I have a hard time believing that!
tongue.gif
Yeah me too.
I was being sarcastic, I'm pretty sure Scott would argue. :D

In the scenario the OP described, I'd try to fix it over the phone first. If it's the fellow in the hills, then arguing is sadly a bad course of action.

In the past, when it's a very small chunk of wire and not much time at all, I have simply made the "correction", and left a note taped to the piping that 680.74 no longer requires the bonding that 2002 and prior required. I include my phone number. So, if the guy reads the note and disagrees, he will still pass it, and hopefully call me trying to correct me.

I had one guy that was not convinced, but promised to look into it. I got my message across, the job passed, and life went on, mission accomplished.

M. D.

dcspector, I agree , I do try to pass on what I have learned and I try to keep an open mind when old habbits and ways of thinking are questioned. I try to avoid the "fight" & "fuss" whenever I can.

dcspector

M. D. said:
dcspector, I agree , I do try to pass on what I have learned and I try to keep an open mind when old habbits and ways of thinking are questioned. I try to avoid the "fight" & "fuss" whenever I can.

I knew we were on the same page. I just get soooo tired of satelite Inspectors and old school wire,persons.

Status
Not open for further replies.