Pool equipment disconnect

Frank D

Occupation
Electrical project manager
Does a pool pump disconnect require 6’ height clearance? We are replacing a panel that only has 52” heigh, if we convert the panel to disconnects, does the 6’ rule still apply?

Frank D

Occupation
It's 6'7" to middle of handle for building or service disconnect. No mention of 6ft although that's usually what I set the tops of my panels to for ease
we have an area that has only 50” of height, no more. not enough height for a panel by code. Can we install safety switches there with that low of clearance?

kwired

Electron manager
Are we talking about dedicated electrical space, dedicated equipment area, or work space for this?
Sounds like he has low clearance and wondering if minimum workspace clearance applies to what he has.

If it is just the disconnect required within sight of the pool pump I don't think it is a problem. If it is also the branch circuit origination device, then it likely does need to meet all of 110.26 requirements.

Frank D

Occupation
This panel has to be replaced. The inspector will not allow a panel to be reinstalled in this location, due to the lack of height clearance . If we replace the panel with fused disconnects, can they pass code in this location?
IMG_4244 Medium.jpeg

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
This panel has to be replaced. The inspector will not allow a panel to be reinstalled in this location, due to the lack of height clearance . If we replace the panel with fused disconnects, can they pass code in this location?
View attachment 2570741
Where I'm at it's interpreted as non fused disconnect don't need the clearance but fused ones do.

Frank D

Occupation
Btw, i’m new to this forum, but I certainly appreciate all the help and the communication from all the folks in the business.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
It's 6'7" to middle of handle for building or service disconnect. No mention of 6ft although that's usually what I set the tops of my panels to for ease
Wait I thought the height limit for disconnect handles was 6’7” when in its highest switched position?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Wait I thought the height limit for disconnect handles was 6’7” when in its highest switched position?
it's actually:
center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position,

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
it's actually:
center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position,
Ok dam the NEC is so specific. So I measure from handle center but not top edge of handle to ground floor correct?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's where the conversation went astray. See red arrow in OP.

The OP is asking about minimum required working space height.

He wants to put the replacement panel in the same low space.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
it's actually:
Does a pool pump disconnect require 6’ height clearance? We are replacing a panel that only has 52” heigh, if we convert the panel to disconnects, does the 6’ rule still apply?
Was op asking about height working space for equipment or switch maximum height in on position. Switches are also part of equipment requiring working space correct?