pool pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Nm is allowed to enter an outside disconnect and any wiring that is acceptable in Chapter 3 is allowed to be used to wire a pool pump for a single family dwelling. I think the reasoning is that the nm if installed properly is protected within the dwelling. This makes little sense, however when you see that it is not allowed for the pool lights. The difference is that the pool light is in the water and close to where one would swim and possibly come in contact with the light should the egc get damaged.

The difference is that the ground wire for a pool light must be insulated and installed in conduit. Nm to the pump is fine. I have not heard of an inspector turning down a job as long as the NM exited the house and stopped immediately at the disconnect. It cannot go thru a conduit then to a disc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The difference is that the ground wire for a pool light must be insulated and installed in conduit. Nm to the pump is fine. I have not heard of an inspector turning down a job as long as the NM exited the house and stopped immediately at the disconnect. It cannot go thru a conduit then to a disc.

I fully agree but why does a ground wire to a pool light need insulation. There has been speculation on "why" but no definitive answer.

I agree that nm must stop at the disco at the house and the standard wire method for flex conduit should be employed at this point.

The light, again, is a different animal.

Cavie

I fully agree but why does a ground wire to a pool light need insulation. There has been speculation on "why" but no definitive answer.

I agree that nm must stop at the disco at the house and the standard wire method for flex conduit should be employed at this point.

The light, again, is a different animal.

I'm going out on a limb here. I would assume the insulation on the ground wire is to prevent any stray grounded current from any other circuit from getting on the grounding conductors for the pool light and causing any injury to the swimmers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm going out on a limb here. I would assume the insulation on the ground wire is to prevent any stray grounded current from any other circuit from getting on the grounding conductors for the pool light and causing any injury to the swimmers.
Could be but I have heard things such as protection from chlorine etc. The terminations , of course, are going to be the weak link in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.