pool, spa, hot tub disconnection means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks Dennis, I was reading around and it looked like if the panel was "at" the pool area with equipment it would not get bonded…

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=65697

So I don't know…

was thinking to……. I think most time clocks have their enclosure to be plastic, but I would think some are metal also… That time clock metal enclosure would need the bond to it right?

If the remote panel "at" the pool location did not need enclosure bonding, what if it was a remote panel with time clocks in it? Would the addition of the clocks make it worthy of a bond?

This response is without reading anything in code - the main intent if the equipotential bonding is to bring items within reach of a user the pool to same potential. If this metal timer enclosure or a panelboard cabinet are in the pool area (exact distances from pool itself could be debatable) then I believe they are an item required to be bonded to the equipotential system. If they are not in the pool vicinity or even if they have a barrier between them and the pool user area - IMO they don't need to be connected to the equipotential system. Remember my thoughts are based on the fact that protecting pool users from voltage gradients is the main driving factor for the requirements if the panel is not in reach of the user it doesn't contribute to such hazards. The panel still needs bonded to an equipment grounding conductor or grounded service conductor if it is service equipment - but that is general requirements not 680 requirements.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with kwired. If the panel is within 5' then it needs bonding but I have never bonded the pool panel because it has always been more than 5' away - usually 15-20' away at a minimum.

I see nothing in 680.26 that requires the panel itself. I should have clarified this statement. By pool area I meant within 5' feet
I don't believe it is saying not to bond the pool panel located at the pool area

Of course I don't believe bonding the pool panel would hurt anything

Status
Not open for further replies.