Pop Up Counter Outlet Assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need assistance of any inspector or electrician that has ever seen or heard of a pop up outlet assembly thats installed on top of a kitchen counter. This unit has a handle on the top cover, with a master switch and indicator light, to use this unit pull up and expose the receptacles, when completed using the outlets unplug the cords and retract the unit by pushing down on the unit until it is flush with the countertop, I think this unit is manufactured in England and unknown if it has a UL listing any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It has been the subject of at least one thread, and I think I have seen it discussed twice. There were pictures of the device shown as well. But I do not know what key words to use, to try to find the earlier threads. I also do not recall how the membership felt about the devices. Anyone else remember (perhaps better than I)?

John Arendt

Inspectored:
IF it's the P&S item, it has a UL label. Based on what I see here....I would have concern of the cord being damaged in the cabinets. And you have the issue of cord being used as a substitute for permanent wiring. May be a tough sell to me.
John

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
John Arendt said:
Inspectored:
IF it's the P&S item, it has a UL label. Based on what I see here....I would have concern of the cord being damaged in the cabinets. And you have the issue of cord being used as a substitute for permanent wiring. May be a tough sell to me.
John
Even if it were UL approved for the purpose???

russ

This looks like a fancy extension cord. It may be listed, but I couldn't see myself approving this thing for permanent wiring.

John Arendt

Dennis:
With all due respect....I can't see the cord inside a cabinet. Physical damage.., and Article 400.8 (1)
As with all AHJ's this is my opinion, and the same opinion of many that I know.

John

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree. The pop up, although pretty neat, is nothing more than a glorified plug strip. Silly it seems, that if the unit came with a 3/8" flex the unit would be acceptable. Just hook it to a JB in the cabinet and Voila.

ryan_618

Here is how I would handle this: If you don't want to install a real receptacle for your countertop, 210.50 always allows you to install a cord pendant for your required receptacle. Just put a box in the ceiling above the counter, and dangle some SO cord with a handy box and receptacle from it. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
ryan_618 said:
Here is how I would handle this: If you don't want to install a real receptacle for your countertop, 210.50 always allows you to install a cord pendant for your required receptacle. Just put a box in the ceiling above the counter, and dangle some SO cord with a handy box and receptacle from it. :)
I love it but the cord would have to be white to match all the light pendants.

I can't seem to find this but I am almost sure jwelectric had a picture of some tombstones that didn't retract into the counter and were hard wired. They looked almost like an old bell box.

John Arendt

Similar to a Walkerduct tombstone? Brushed Alum, rounded corners, duplex on 1 side; available divider & ass't LV on the other side? Hard wired is no issue.
John:smile:

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
Jackleg said:
I'll sign off on it. I feel better seeing that cheep looking contraption than seeing the cord to the hot frydaddy looped down the side of an island.

I couldn't agree more. This is a great solution for providing an attractive and safe receptacle on an island or peninsula counter top and eliminates the very real hazard of cords hanging over the edge of a counter. You still need to provide a code compliant receptacle at the end of the cabinet or hidden under an overhanging counter, and this is a good place to install the GFCI that protects the circuit. With a little planning, it is easy to find room to install one of these behind a bank of drawers. Most built-in trash compactors are designed to leave a void at the back of the cabinet that can be put to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.