Pottery Kilns tripping breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Re: Pottery Kilns tripping breakers

If what we're told is true and all is ok with all the branch circuit wiring, then I need to know three things; resistance of the elements and resistance of yje elements in a similar kiln that is not tripping, voltage at the panel and voltage at the kiln, and AMPERAGE. And I could live with volts and amps if that's all I can get.

hurk27

Glen some of the klins that I have worked on were the six element type. these were set up to be capable of running on a 3 phase source or a single phase source and had the terminals to wire them to 480 or 240. If this is the type of klin he's talking about just getting one wire on the wrong terminal would cause this type of problem, when this unit goes into high fire what element is coming on. a quick look at the diagram or the routing of the wire would tell this. and maybe able to see if this element is the problem. and maybe it might have grounded out.
If I remember the two sets of elements in the lower section would be the low fire and the ones in the lid or in the upper ring was for the high fire. don't mark my word as it's been a long time. the problem has to be with this high element.

Guys great input...thanks so much! I am sorry for not posting the AMps and so forth...I have not had the time to go back for the information and have not heard back from the customer.

Good points, I am into the kiln being "re-wired" by a kiln professional with the wrong elements...makes perfect sense to me...fits my budget too!!!

Just FYI, I said the kiln was 6 feet from the loadcenter...that's a lie, it is more like 10 feet away, and there is one in between it and the loadcenter....so why isn't it tripping?

This is a very good thread and you are all restoring my hope in qualified electricians out there that look beyond the obvious into the "unknown". Have been calling around to try to rent a "recorder" to slap on it at night to test Temp, Amps, volts, blah, blah, blah. That is the next step. I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.