Power tools question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnGuyLandSparky

iwire said:
Members, where do you see this thread going?

Does anyone really think they will change the views of others here?

Lets stay on topic and leave the rest of the discussions to your PMs or another type of forum.

I suppose an NEC forum isn't the place for socioeconomic discussion. Now, which religion is the correct one? :grin:

danickstr

Did not mean to stir a hornet's nest, and thanks for all the replies. I guess I will go with Makita drill since it is made in Georgia. Otherwise I would get dewalt (made in China) since the profits go to US company, I guess. Or ridgid 24v is supposed to be good.

Thanks again for your input to all.

Kessler4130

I have had several dewalts in the past and the batteries always seemed to fade fast, maybe it is just me. But the makita stuff is top notch IMHO.

tallguy

Kessler4130 said:
I have had several dewalts in the past and the batteries always seemed to fade fast, maybe it is just me. But the makita stuff is top notch IMHO.
1) DeWalt - It's not just you
2) Makita - I agree

mattsilkwood

Kessler4130 said:

the thing i hate most about dewalt is everybody has them , it seems that batteries always seem to dissapear and its hard to point a finger when theres 200 batteries on a job that are just alike.
for that reason ive got in the habit of spraying them with pink marking paint.

you can see a hot pink drill from 300 yds away and nobody will want to borrow it either.:D

iaov

wbalsam1 said:
Most all of the wiring harnesses in my Harley Davidson come from Japan, and it's a '79 1/2!!!:-?
The connectors in my 03 & 05 Harleys are German made and almost any of the "Genuine" Harley aftermarket parts are made in Tiawan!!

iaov

LarryFine said:
Is that so different from our discussions about customers who only want the lowest price and use trunk-slammers vs. those who want and are willing to pay for licensed and insured professionals?

(I'm not specifically talking about union shops, but I'm not excluding them for the sake of this discussion, since you mentioned the UAW.)
You get what you pay for wether its tools or 'tricians.

iaov

ITO said:
Made in Japan is a mark of quality for me, its the crap from China that concerns me.

However, if you looking for a good drill the Bosch are really nice, but I cant seem to hang onto them for very long.
Made in Japan is a mark of quality today but I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't. The Chinese stuff gets better all the time. Karl Marx said when it comes time to hang the capitalists, they will be happy to sell us the rope. I think we have sold the rope to the chinese. But before we swing we should be able to buy some excellent consumer goods at competative prices!!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mattsilkwood said:
the thing i hate most about dewalt is everybody has them , it seems that batteries always seem to dissapear and its hard to point a finger when theres 200 batteries on a job that are just alike.

Not too many people are using 36v deWalt tools, and I love mine. The batteries seem to supply power for a long time, then poop out all at once. They do recharge faster than they get used up, so a spare is forever.

TOOL_5150

dewalt all the way for me...

DSC00279_resize.jpg

~Matt

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
Not too many people are using 36v deWalt tools, and I love mine.

To each their own I can't see me ever needing a 36 Volt, to heavy to work with all day. :smile:

When buying my own tools I still buy 14 volt, if I need more power I am more then happy to get a cord and plug a tool in.

sparky_magoo

iwire said:
To each their own I can't see me ever needing a 36 Volt, to heavy to work with all day. :smile:

When buying my own tools I still buy 14 volt, if I need more power I am more then happy to get a cord and plug a tool in.

I couldn't agree more. If I need more than my 14 volt Bosch has to offer, I roll out the extension cord.

I also happen to think that cordless circular and recip. saws are stupid. That statement ought to get some blood boiling.

mattsilkwood

sparky_magoo said:
I couldn't agree more. If I need more than my 14 volt Bosch has to offer, I roll out the extension cord.

I also happen to think that cordless circular and recip. saws are stupid. That statement ought to get some blood boiling.
to each his own but my cordless sawsall is worth it weight in gold on a pipe job.

mdshunk

sparky_magoo said:
I never really had a cordless circular saw until recently, and I only got it because it came with a kit. It's proved to be handy. I find myself mostly using it to run out to the truck and cut a chunk of 2 x 4 lumber for installing a paddle fan box in an existing home.

andinator

bkludecke said:
Actually I do get it. And if there were enough of folks like you who were willing to pay any price for domestically made products, those products would be easy to find. So you are definately a minority. The US auto industry was just about distroyed in the '80s because they couldn't (or wouldn't) produce a quality product at a reasonable price. Today GM has to add about $1500 to the price of an average car just to pay for health insurance for retired workers. I'm not willing to pay for those mistakes/concessions that management @ GM allowed just to keep the UAW in business.

I'm as red-white-and blue as anyone but when companies can't compete in a global market place they will eventually fail. Capitalism is the the only moral economic system there is. When products and $$ cross borders, soldiers don't. Global trade is a good thing and I'm sorry you don't agree.

I could go on for hours be you'd be bored I think. Peace.

Read Allan Greenspan's new book. I'm just about done and it will explain it all to you.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Last Monday I bought a Hilti SFH 181-A. $350 at Big Orange. I'm tired of my Bosch cordless hammer drills burning up. We do hunrdeds of Tapcons a day so I need a couple of reliable hammer drills. Happy with the Hilti this week. I'll let you know how it holds up.

iwire

Staff member
chris kennedy said:
Happy with the Hilti this week. I'll let you know how it holds up.

I bet you stay happy with it.

Another contractor on a job had a nice Hilti hammer drill and it had built in dust collection. It was perfect for working in finished buildings.

The company just bought me a bunch of 18 volt Dewalt tools, the Hammer drill seems pretty good.

220/221

danickstr said:
If I want to support a US company with a power tool purchase, which one would I use? I need a new cordless drill, for example.

Don't be concerned abpout supporting the economy by the simple purchase of a power tool. Use that tool at work every day and spend 80 percent of what you earn. THAT will help the US economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.