Pre employment test

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I wasted a year because somebody didn't embrace this idea.

As an incoming freshman, I took a placement exam. I didn't score well because my expertise in trigonometry was weak. The college looked only at the overall score, assumed that everybody took the same classes in the same sequence, and placed me in college algebra, which was a redundant waste of everybody's time. Next quarter, Calculus I, in which I just squeaked by. Next quarter, failed Calculus II. Finally took trig the second quarter of my second year and got back on track.

I like job-interview exams. Every time I've been given an exam, I've gotten the job.
I failed the math exam going into devry because I had never heard of a "j" operator and there were a bunch of problems involving it. Imagine my annoyance at having to take a remedial class in "j" operators. Turns out that for some reason in some electronic curriculums, complex numbers use "j" instead of "i". I did pass the rest of the test though. Fortunately, the "j" operator remedial class was only a few weeks long.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In electrical engineering the "j" is used in complex numbers. I believe it came from the days of hand calculations and sliderules.
For the most part it is used to tell the difference between he resistive and the reactive components of numbers.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I find many of these types of general tests are better at finding out what is not known rather than what is known.

Coachmike

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good questions. In all fairness #12 has nothing to do with electrical work but I like the question and #9, assuming the answer is C, is incorrect for MC cable.
We also have an entry level quiz. Question #12 is a general knowledge question that displays a candidate's depth and the Moral Dilemma reveals outside the box thinking. We have had good success separating the wheat from the chaff.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We also have an entry level quiz. Question #12 is a general knowledge question that displays a candidate's depth and the Moral Dilemma reveals outside the box thinking. We have had good success separating the wheat from the chaff.
So what's the answer to #12? And what do you think about question #9 being incorrect?

__dan

Banned
More to the point, if you find your soulmate waiting for a bus on a dark and stormy night, why would she get in your strange car, and what kind of soulmate is she really if she does.

Especially after your friend who you know, is also there, and you owe a big one to, says this other lady needs a ride to the hospital (right now).

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I am more interested in the answer to #8. In my opinion, it can't be A or B, because controlling current and voltage are integral, so either answer is every bit as valid. I am curious what the OP considers the correct answer.

__dan

Banned
I selected d. none of the above for 8. Actually I think "all of the above" would have been the correct answer.

If you are only offered one correct choice it would be, "as required by the manufacturer as a combination assembly", which would be 110.3 b in the NEC, and the ballast controls Voltage and limits current inrush to the lamp(s).

But the choice of "all of the above" or "as required by the manufacturer for their assembly" was not offered, hence d.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Put your horse blinders on so you can repress your feeling and keep driving
It could also be, "You are on a service call in a company truck so you better keep driving and get to your next location. I am not paying you to dawdle!" :D

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Moral DilemmaYou are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night. You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus: 1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die. 2. An old friend who once saved your life. 3. The perfect man or woman you have been dreaming about. Circle who would you choose to ride in the car, knowing there is only room for one?
Easy, WIN, WIN, WIN

You give your old friend your car, to take the old lady to the hospital. That way your friend is out of the rain, and the old lady gets the needed medical help.

You stay at the bus stop with the "perfect mate" and keep them company. Everybody wins! ;)

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Marked wire, Nice one.
What if no marks?

"An example of this would be when you have Coil of wire come to site. Measure the mean dia (center to center) 36".
Count the number of wraps 44
How long is the cable in Feet?"

In reality the supply house reel set up is usually a 22" to 24" dia.
So use 23 mean dia and 24 wraps. Feet?

These are fun work questions. Get them thinking.
What if they memorized Table 8, and pull out a dmm with a calibration cert, and ohm out the coil, then do the math in their head, and give you the length +/- .1% in less time than the mean circumference math? Hired?