Pulling solid wire thru conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

310-3 Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways, condcutors of size No. 8 and larger shall be stranded.

IMO they should change it to No. 10 and larger.

Using #10 solid is stupid. I had to fight with some just last week on an existing circuit. I pull out old #8 solid once in a while and I always ask "What were they thinking?"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO they should change it to No. 10 and larger.

Using #10 solid is stupid. I had to fight with some just last week on an existing circuit. I pull out old #8 solid once in a while and I always ask "What were they thinking?"

I've been saying this forever. With value engineering I see more and more jobs with fully stuffed conduits, 16-#10's in a 1" EMT or 28-#10's in an 1.25" EMT. Making these pulls with solid #10 condcutors is just plain stupid if not impossible. Factor in when the pipe guy installed a "C" condulet in the middle of the run and you're really in trouble. :roll:

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired

I had to fight with some just last week on an existing circuit. I pull out old #8 solid once in a while and I always ask "What were they thinking?"

I think they were thinking they were saving money (forgetting about the
additional labor)

Microwatt

I've been saying this forever. With value engineering I see more and more jobs with fully stuffed conduits, 16-#10's in a 1" EMT or 28-#10's in an 1.25" EMT. Making these pulls with solid #10 condcutors is just plain stupid if not impossible. Factor in when the pipe guy installed a "C" condulet in the middle of the run and you're really in trouble. :roll:

28 solid #10's in one conduit???? How many are current carrying conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.