Putting a disconnect into an mlo panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyrick

Soooooooo, if I pry my meter pedestal off the foundation of my house an inch, is it now called a structure?
dunno.gif
stirpot.gif
evilB.gif

rhovee

I have to also disagree that a meter with a disconnect is considered a structure. My example is, mobile homes. I have done numerous 1/2/3 wide mobile homes that have a pedistal within 15 feet of the mobile home. It has a 200 amp main breaker and it's own GES. Then a 2 inch PVC feeding the mobile home. Never have i seen or heard of someone considering this a separate structure and having to install another GES.

jimknowle

Pardon my ignorance, but why are we arguing about whether or not the pedestal is a structure or not. The pedestal is what it is, but the house is most definitely a seperate structure from the meter disconnect (pedestal) and that is all that matters.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I have to also disagree that a meter with a disconnect is considered a structure. My example is, mobile homes. I have done numerous 1/2/3 wide mobile homes that have a pedistal within 15 feet of the mobile home. It has a 200 amp main breaker and it's own GES. Then a 2 inch PVC feeding the mobile home. Never have i seen or heard of someone considering this a separate structure and having to install another GES.

Is it built or constructed?

Yes.

Then it is a structure.

iwire

Staff member
This is not a structure.
popc1.gif

f8cfcb52-a9f0-494e-8de3-35af49ce9548_400.jpg

You can say it just as many times as I can say that is equipment that is also a structure. :D

Here is the NEC definition of structure.

Structure. That which is built or constructed.

If that item, once installed has not been built or constructed how did it get there?

If that is not a structure why does the NEC believe a light pole in a parking lot is a structure?

Can you describe something that you would consider a structure that is not also a building?

:)

mwm1752

NFPA technical assistance response

Mitch,

A manufactured unit is a piece of equipment.

Mark
--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 2/17/2015 9:43 AM
To: techqueselec@nfpa.org
Subject: RE: NFPA Technical Question Response [ ref:_00D5077Vx._50050aWoLO:ref ]

To: Mark Cloutier
Thank you for your response, I will try to be more specific. The premise of the question is whether the exterior disconnecting means for the structure that is not mounted on the structure it supplies is indeed identified as a structure by the NEC. Based on your response "The NEC defines a structure as: That which is built or constructed. Based on this definition, a frame constructed for the purposes of supporting and mounting outdoor electrical equipment is a structure and being such is subject to the applicable requirements in the NEC covering service conductors, feeders and branch circuits that are installed at that structure. " I would appreciate verification of how this is interpreted.
"a frame constructed for the purposes of supporting and mounting outdoor electrical equipment is a structure" An exterior disconnect mounted on a field constructed frame for support would apply to this definition. A manufacture unit that only needs to be set in the earth (meter/main pedestal) and is not supported by any field constructed frame would not apply to this definition. Both instances serve the same purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.