PVC and the grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copperthief

Today I decided to help an old friend run some PVC. I saw he had a grill On the truck and some charcoal...after he lit the grill He stuck the PVC through the vents spun it bent it. I know they make heaters and fans but I can't help but think there has gotta be a better homemade way ... Any ideas?? I wish take a picture to show u bootleg at its best

iwire

Staff member
I am certainly not going to say that I have never used odd heat sources to bend PVC but you should know this before you try to build something.

352.24 Bends ? How Made. Bends shall be so made that
the conduit will not be damaged and the internal diameter
of the conduit will not be effectively reduced. Field bends
shall be made only with bending equipment identified for the
purpose.
The radius of the curve to the centerline of such
bends shall not be less than shown in Table 2, Chapter 9.

And from article 100.

Identified (as applied to equipment). Recognizable as
suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment,
application, and so forth, where described in a particular
Code requirement.

Informational Note: Some examples of ways to determine
suitability of equipment for a specific purpose, environment,
or application include investigations by a qualified testing
laboratory (listing and labeling), an inspection agency, or other
organizations concerned with product evaluation

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose

for 1/2 and 3/4, I use a heat gun and piece of wire rope and a 1 or 5 gal paint can as a mandrel, cannot tell the difference from manufactured bend (except it has a the paint can radius)

iwire

Staff member
Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose

for 1/2 and 3/4, I use a heat gun and piece of wire rope and a 1 or 5 gal paint can as a mandrel, cannot tell the difference from manufactured bend (except it has a the paint can radius)

I am sure it works fine and I keep a heat gun in the truck.

But in my opinion it is entirely up to the inspector to determine what is suitable.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Has any one used those springs they sell? I think they come 1/2 and 3/4. They are supposed to work without heating the pvc.
I can see springs keeping the cross section from collapsing while the bend is made, but I do not see how it could keep the PVC from cracking.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I can see springs keeping the cross section from collapsing while the bend is made, but I do not see how it could keep the PVC from cracking.

At room temperature, it's almost impossible to crack. I have seen 2" used as a mast that folded over like a paper tube and didn't crack. It was close to freezing, too.

Now, when you get to 0 and below, that's a different story.

John120/240

Has any one used those springs they sell? I think they come 1/2 and 3/4. They are supposed to work without heating the pvc.

The springs that I am familiar with are for use on soft copper plumbing pipe. Haven't seen ones for PVC. Exhaust pipe on your vehicle is a common method........ Set a piece of rigid up where half is on the pavement & other half is on the curb, then drive up on the conduit length wise until you reach your desired bend.

Although not listed for the purpose this works great if you keep the flame moving. IMO it works better than a hot box.
bc1d9f13506f6c3f37154a408094d647.jpg

I've also seen people use a 3/4 and 1" emt bender for 1/2 and 3/4 PVC respectively. Believe it or not it works decent. I was surprised the pvc didn't explode! Like others have said I would not attempt this below freezing.

kwired

Electron manager

These work pretty well.

A charcoal burning grill seems like would take too much time if only making limited number of bends compared to a gas burning or electric heating appliance. I'm sure the coals of the charcoal grill work great, but takes a little time to establish them, then you don't just turn if off when finished either.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Today I decided to help an old friend run some PVC. I saw he had a grill On the truck and some charcoal...after he lit the grill He stuck the PVC through the vents spun it bent it. I know they make heaters and fans but I can't help but think there has gotta be a better homemade way ... Any ideas?? I wish take a picture to show u bootleg at its best
We have a home made sheet metal box lined with high temp insulation and a stretched out oven heating element. Works great but you have to have power. With the charcoal grill you are not a slave to the power grid or a generator. I like the idea. Heat is heat.

kwired

Electron manager
We have a home made sheet metal box lined with high temp insulation and a stretched out oven heating element. Works great but you have to have power. With the charcoal grill you are not a slave to the power grid or a generator. I like the idea. Heat is heat.

For large conduits I have an old baseboard heater and a piece of sheet metal I bent to make a cover, I usually use it in the shop though and mostly make long sweeps in 3 inch sch 80. Put it in and let it cook while working on something else, never had one get too hot and scorch the pipe, even a real hot box needs more baby sitting then this does.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is the method of applying the heat the actual bending equipment? I think that the bending equipment is what ever is used to apply the actual bending force.

kwired

Electron manager
Store your PVC stock in a boiler room and you may be able to form it fairly easily before leaving the room, is that an unapproved bending method?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Is the method of applying the heat the actual bending equipment? I think that the bending equipment is what ever is used to apply the actual bending force.

I'm with you on that one, but have been through this before on this site. Apparently we don't have a very popular stand on the subject.

Fortunately, our inspectors don't care how we make the bends. It's the finished product they are concerned with. If they see no scorches or other physical damage and the bends aren't too tight, that's all they care about.

FWIW, grey automotive primer in a spray can hides the scorches very well. It's also great for covering up the printing on the PVC for aesthetic purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.