pvc under a slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Also considering concrete has water in it when its poured and rumor has it that concrete is still drying after 20 some odd years, I'd reconsider describing the inner portion of a concrete slab a dry location regardless of whether or not it has a vapor barrier underneith it.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
It's so when someone trips over it and breaks it off you can dig the foam out around it and get a coupling back on it easily......:D

JAP>
Would seem to fit my experiences better, I've never seen a damaged conduit that was poured in the slab. In fact we are specifically allowed to embed most solid walled raceways in concrete by the applicable chapter 3 article on each raceway type. ENT is even allowed to be embedded - if anything is weak and going to succumb to such forces it may be ENT.

Breaking off at the surface - I have started setting a coupling flush/ slightly below finished surface, the concrete finishers like it, it ends up allowing nicer looking finish most of the time, and you don't get other trades knocking them over and breaking them before you get there to finish the run either. Trick to finding later - tie a cable tie to the conduit - leave about an inch of the tail end of the tie sticking above the finished surface, power trowels just bend it over when they pass over it, but it sticks out like a flagpole after finished and is easy to find.

iwire

Staff member
A bit of diesel fuel dripped on to the top of conduit or walker duct caps leaves stains on the concrete showing where they are.

iwire

Staff member
Owner may not like that at a place that will just get a clear sealer as finish on the concrete:blink:

Obviously use your head where you apply this method ..... :roll:

But where it can be done without showing, like under VCT or carpets, or a garage floor it is very effective.

kwired

Electron manager
Obviously use your head where you apply this method ..... :roll:

I hope that doesn't mean fill your mouth with diesel and use a controlled spitting method to apply it:lol:

But seriously, sounds like something that would work - is new to me though.

iwire

Staff member
I hope that doesn't mean fill your mouth with diesel and use a controlled spitting method to apply it:lol:

But seriously, sounds like something that would work - is new to me though.

Ah no ...:D

We do a lot of walkerduct and if all goes well the access points will end up just below the finish with no trace of them. To access the raceway you have to locate the point and break into it with a hammer. Having a few well marked with diesel stains helps a lot.

Here is a picture, http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XoCivOXOJEY/maxresdefault.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
Ah no ...:D

We do a lot of walkerduct and if all goes well the access points will end up just below the finish with no trace of them. To access the raceway you have to locate the point and break into it with a hammer. Having a few well marked with diesel stains helps a lot.

Here is a picture, http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XoCivOXOJEY/maxresdefault.jpg

I've seen pictures of the system before, I was hoping to see a picture of the diesel stain for locating purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.