Question about piece work

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Duse said:
I currently work for an contractor who's also contracted for a larger company that can't keep up with his schedule and is talking about going from an hourly wage to peice work, now we're wiring up military base housing w/ 3 and 4 bedrooms roughly 1100 sq, ft.. (don't quote me) he's offering 600$ for a 3 bedroom and 650$ for a 4 bedroom. This is just for the rough-in, I would like to know am I getting the ass end of the deal or is this a good deal?

I think it depends entirely on how much work there is to do. if you can finish the work in 2 or 3 days, you are being paid well. It it takes you two or three weeks, not so good.

I am thinking that the rough in on a minimalist 3 or 4 bedroom apartment might not be so bad.

If you don't like the money tell him you are not interested. No reason you have to take any job.

Last edited:

allenwayne

georgestolz said:
Yes, I do. I did. I figured someone was likely looking at my numbers, and I did not want to be "the slow guy." I worked the same out of piecework as under it, because I did not want to be forced under it and take a short check if something went wrong. The houses I did that made money more than paid for the few that tanked (usually for reasons outside my control).

Do I have an unusual work ethic? These days, maybe. But anyone will work if they know someone's keeping an eye on them.

I had the misfortune to be on a tract home project where they were trying to dress them up to make them more attractive to buyers. As a result, no two houses (even of the same model) were the same. I had sheaves of cabinet layouts for the three (or more) different types of kitchen per model.
Piecework can still work for that situation, but it can get pretty tight sometimes. I learned to hate it over time, and I was medium-fast.

Well George you are a rarity I can in all honesty say that.I`ve been in the production side of this business for 20 + years and can honestly say that a piece worker has the insentive to keep up the pace while an hourly employee will get the same $$$$$ regardless of what they do.

As far as a short check goes a qualified piece worker doesn`t worry about that.Even in slow times they still get the houses they need to maintain the checks they have been getting,why? Bottom line for the employer.Hourly get 40 hours pay as long as they show up but an employer gets production from piece guys.That`s the key,Hourly guys trudge along and get the same money regardless of the available work while a piece guy still must produce the same amount of production.That`s why many companies here at least go piece it benefits the company.Do this get this,don`t do this get this much less.

The average electrician here (journeyman) hourly gets around $ 18.00/ hr averaged out, but a piece guy that knows what they are doing gets double that and some if really good get alot more.Back in the day doing apts. the average was $10.00 / hr here but doing piece I was averaging 2 1/2 - 3 X that.Pretty good incentive to bust your hump.$400.00/wk compared to $1,000 + / wk.

Who benefits more by piece work ?????? The employer does,more production, higher bottom line.Sure the piece guy might make a better paycheck but the company as a whole can increase the marginal residential profit 3 fold by going piece.I`ve seen companies try the incentive bonus route
I`ve never seen it pan out.There is always a lazy person on the crew that causes dissention among the troops.Does the company give a bonus for coming under on rough and trim out ???? What if the trim crew eats up the time on the actual work but the rough crew did thier part ? Bottom line is the company loses in the long run.They paid the rough crew + a bonus.The trim crew gets paid but goes over on time.The bottom line is the company looses money in this low profit high production field.

This is a low profit part of this trade and like any other company the residential EC doing tract homes has no choice but to increase the profit margin they get in order to stay afloat.Now if in a small shop piece might not help them out.But when you get into a large residential company it`s production, production, production.

Lets go to the commercial side of the fence,do you think guys would run more EMT by the hour or by the $/ft. ????? But commercial is a horse of a different color, so I wont go there.Bottom line is piece benefits companies that find themselves in a situation where the profit margin from hourly employees is barely keeping them afloat.They go piece and now find themselves seeing a higher profit margin.Which side of the fence do they run on ???? Hourly or piece ????? You tell me which !!!!!!

growler

allenwayne said:
Piece work is not for everyone.The only problem I have with piece workers is that many are just good helpers and that`s it.Helpers.

Just like production factory work it allows a low skilled worker to be productive by repetitious action. ( monkey see, monkey do, monkey do real fast ).

It may be good for the company and even allow a young man a chance to make a decent living but I wouldn't advise a young electrician to get into it.

You can make just as much money by working long hours on a commercial or an industrial job with the added benefit of actually learning a trade.

If you want to get paid for doing a repititious job they pay good money to drive a truck ( mileage and a chance to see the country , plus you get to run over one State Trooper a year ).

It's not the work but I think the idea of doing the same thing every day would drive me nuts. ( Some people say I'm already there ).

Status
Not open for further replies.