Question for Electrical Inspectors

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I've used P&S and the Smartbox they both have metal bracket that actually supports the fan. The plastic is just the enclosure for the conductors

I use the P & S quite often, has fair amount of volume for conductors, though most cases I am only entering with a single cable.
My goto is either the metal homedepot one for barhangers or the carlon or allied saddle plastic box. The PnS one was always to expensive at my supply house.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
When that happens to me I always think (and sometimes say) "why'd you ask if you didn't want my answer? "
Yeah, I got a cousin that likes to do his own wiring, but his wife doesn’t trust his wiring, and will not let him energize it until after I look at it. He built a new living room addition to his house, not very big, about 12x16. He wanted two ceiling fans, each on its own 20 amp circuit, with a switch for each on opposite sides of the door. Why? He thought two fans would be too much on a 20 amp circuit! He kept arguing with me about just using one circuit, and put both switches on the same side of the door. Easier to do, less wire, and oh! He wanted to use a couple of used plastic boxes to hang the fans from! Haven’t been back, though he calls twice a week wanting me to come back. That’s another reason why I hate residential. If he wasn’t kin, I would have turned him down at the beginning! Hoping he will get the hint and call somebody else. His sister’s husband is an HVAC guy, and he will not answer the phone for any of his in-laws calls (five brother in-laws, and three sister in-laws)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The first box:
Phillips-head screws (#10-32 x 3 inch) mount the fan or fixture directly to the metal bracket.

The second box seems sketchy.
The non metallic box is supporting the fan/fixture and the holes are only 8-32. I have never seen any fan box that uses 8-32 screws. Most are 10-32 and occasionally 10-24.
I have seen one box that used 8-32's, black ones that came with it. Must have been tempered screws. Saw it on a shelf, didn't use it. Can't recall the brand, was nonmetallic.

cyoung6105

Occupation
Inspector
Long time lurker here...new user. You people on here are absolutely amazing with your knowledge.

To answer the op...The jurisdiction that I worked in, required pretty detailed plans up front for plan review. This frustrated a lot of people, but also gave us a pulse as to if the person was "qualified." Once you show them the size of the book that need to comply with...some will ask "can you give me a list of electricians?" Most HO's were knowledgeable enough that we could walk through the process with them (small county)...but some of the most common things that were misunderstood/violations.

AFCI/GFCI requirements.
GES...especially the UFER!
NM cable in wet locations.
Wiring protection.
Box fill.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I report to a mainly industrial area. Most of the handyman/maintenance staff mishaps are of the corner cutting type. Like not installing a receptacle for equipment requiring service, wrong wire sizes for breakers, not grounding/bonding 277/480 properly, no strain relief on drop cords, and no GFI on outlets where they are required.