Question on a 2011 handbook Exhibit on Crawlspace cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
On top of the bottom flange or on bottom of the top flange. That places the cable at least 1.5" from the nailing surface.

So that good for two wires unless you have a stacker that works in that direction.

The problem with using the web is there better not be wires on the opposite side cause the staples will go right thru. I stay in the web.... heck you have to punch the holes out in the web, if you use them so what's the big deal?

renosteinke

"You have to punch the holes ...." Strictly speaking, not true.

TJI's have some places marked that are supposed to be easy to punch out with your hammer, but my experience is that they are not. At least that pre-stamped ring tense to limit the tear-out at the hole, though.

TJI specifications detail exactly where you can make holes, the size of the holes, and the relation of the holes to each other. There's no requirement to use the 'factory' punch marks- which is a good thing, as the darn things are never in the right place, or in line with each other.

Another detail is that small holes - as you would make for a cable or two - are pretty much unrestricted as to number and placement- though you do need to space them apart from each other (2" I think), or you'll have to treat them as one large hole.

FWIW - though outside the scope of this thread - screws work a lot better with TJI webs than any nail or staple.

Let's return to the thread - that is, the problem with the code, and specifically the problems with the artwork in the handbook. Not meaning any disrespect to anyone's thoughts, but if you don't have that artwork in front of you, it will not be possible for you to make a relevant comment.

The artwork fails to illustrate what the code text seems to say, advocates an inane application of the 1-1/4 spacing, and appears to encourage boring holes in framing in preference to surface running. The code text seems to extend 'basement rules' to crawl spaces. IMO, that's a lot like enforcing fishing regulations on parking-lot puddles- then illustrating the 'change' with a picture of a bath tub!

All to what avail? The building code already defines a basement as 'useable' only if there is a 6'6" clearance. Hanging laundry? I don't think placing the code-required 'laundry outlet' in a space that is defined as not useable/habitable would pass muster.

This definitely needs to be addressed by the next cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.