Questions on flex & bonding raceways.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Questions for the forum:
Panel change out all EMT & Rigid into the original panel, panel is flush in wall.
No equipment grounds pulled in.
No way to verify where all the EMT goes, but some is for lighting and surely has some FMC in the run.
Circuits are all 15 and 20 Amp, now it would be a bit easier for me to use some short sections, less than 12" of metal flex to adapt the old raceways into the new panel is this legit code wise?
The issue is I can't prove the total amount of flex in the run is less than 6 feet.
The code section 250.118 is confusing.

Second question do I need to add a equipment ground bar in new panel?
The feeder is in rigid no wire type ground. I could add a bond bushing and short piece to a ground bar but the boss is cheap and would require a code reference.

Third issue is outside the building there is brand new a section of liquid tight flex in the middle of a run of conduit (40A breaker). It might even be non-metallic flex. If both ends of that run are attached to building steel and other raceways that are grounded is that or was that ever legal? Looks like someone tried to do a quick fix.
Thank you

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Last part no building steel never replaced equipment grounds in non metallic liquid tight but if it's 3/4 metallic liquid tight then it's allowed up to 50a if less than 6ft.

Ground bar isn't required but I'd put one in if I were you.

Do a trough punched in with the conduits about 2 ft above and then do 2 sections of 2 inch emt or 1 1/4 or even flex but run an equipment ground with the flex if you do so you don't have to worry about proving that the 6ft isn't an issue.

The biggest issue I could see would be answered if we knew the voltage system.

the thing about the 6ft rule for flex as a ground can be aliviated if you can see a pull box somewhere that has all the emt runs because this would reset that measurement.

In any case plan on opening a good size chunk of wall

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why would you have to prove anything about the system not directly related to changing out the panel itself? Just do the swap and hammer the lock nuts on tight and drive away.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Why would you have to prove anything about the system not directly related to changing out the panel itself?
I would be adding flex to a conduit run with no ground wire pulled in that already has sections of flex in it.
my understanding is the combined total flex in the entire run cannot exceed 6 feet.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Do a trough punched in with the conduits about 2 ft above and then do 2 sections of 2 inch emt or 1 1/4 or even flex but run an equipment ground with the flex if you do so you don't have to worry about proving that the 6ft isn't an issue.
Good idea thank you