Raco side saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
barbeer said:
how do you actuate the hinge when sheetrock is installed over the cover?

I don't think you can drywall over it.

IMO they are counting on the fixture or fan canopy to conceal the side box.

barbeer

Bob
Are you saying maybe an old work application with a medallion or the like? The problem I am having is they are installed in a new work application and intend to drywall over just as you would with a standard pancake.

iwire

Staff member
As far as I can tell it is for new work.

And you drywall up to it, not over it.....just like any box.

Look at the picture, the round part is at least 1/2" proud of the side box.

barbeer

I do not need a picture - I saw it in person(for the first time). I still stand with my statement that the j-box section(side saddle) will be in-accessible after the interior finish is installed.

stickboy1375

barbeer said:
I do not need a picture - I saw it in person(for the first time). I still stand with my statement that the j-box section(side saddle) will be in-accessible after the interior finish is installed.

I highly doubt a company would waste money designing a non- code compliant box...

barbeer

Any opinions on these boxes? I can't see how they could be used, when the finish(drywall) is installed, any chance of getting back in that j-box has disappeared.

From my OP,^ I want your thoughts, can you see what I am saying about accessibility to a splice made in the junction box after a finish is installed?

SmithBuilt

I agree with barbeer. The sheet rock would cover the square part of the box. Then it wouldn't be accessible or would it. You can always cut the rock.

Or would it be considered accessible thru the small hole up to he box part?

pete m.

It appears from the picture that accessibility would be a concern once the building finish is applied.

Pete

stickboy1375

Found a better picture,
33454892.jpg

Looks like after you remove the mud guard, you have partial accessibility...

royta

stickboy1375 said:
Found a better picture,
33454892.jpg

Looks like after you remove the mud guard, you have partial accessibility...

How do you remove the mud guard without the chance of ripping off pieces of sheetrock?

stickboy1375

royta said:
How do you remove the mud guard without the chance of ripping off pieces of sheetrock?

The mud guard is the part that ONLY covers the round part of the box, it has a screw holding it on...:roll: I'm assuming the hinge is for making up your splice the first time around, the 2nd time around you have to struggle a bit? Look at the picture CLOSELY.... HALF of the box will be accessible with the hinge part UP

Last edited:

mdshunk

I've been using a very similar box from Westinghouse for 4 or 5 years now. Looks like Raco copied the idea, with their own little twist.

royta

stickboy1375 said:
The mud guard is the part that ONLY covers the round part of the box, it has a screw holding it on...:roll: I'm assuming the hinge is for making up your splice the first time around, the 2nd time around you have to struggle a bit?

I guess I don't understand the purpose behind the hinge. Why not just use a Westinghouse Fan Master or Fan Master Jr?

A2490.jpg

royta

mdshunk said:
I've been using a very similar box from Westinghouse for 4 or 5 years now. Looks like Raco copied the idea, with their own little twist.

Curse you Marc. You snuck in while I was looking for a picture.

mdshunk

The Westinghouse box is what I mostly use for old work, because you can install it from below. It works better than the "saddle" boxes, because it's only one-sided. This is better because older homes have rafters and joists with odd width dimensions. I don't need many cubic inches in a fan box, anyhow. Just the end of a 14-3 is normally all I'm putting in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.