Reason #37 why I don't get all stressed about how connections look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Wouldn't half of all work be average or below, by definition?
Depends on the defining parameters. Half is below, half above the arithmetic mean, but if we assign work or workers into three equal-size groups--exceptional, average, and poor-- the average and poor groups outnumber the exceptional by 200%.

kwired

Electron manager
As mentioned depends on rating system and luck of the draw - if you rate on a percentage basis and averaged the following scores 1, 100, 100, 100 your average is well over 50% if you averaged 1, 1, 1, 100 you get well under 50%.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
No, half of all work would be below median. If most people do a really good job, then average could be poor. Eg:

Say 90% of the work is done perfectly. Then the median job is perfect. But that other 10% is going to bring the average down below perfect. And any average or below job is therefore in the bottom 10%.

Cheers, Wayne

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Thanks for many answers to my post concerning average. I don't think the average internet poster would have been likely to come up with even one of these insightful comments.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for many answers to my post concerning average. I don't think the average internet poster would have been likely to come up with even one of these insightful comments.
We are quite capable of having a 100+ post thread about the meaning of the word "the" here:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.