Receptacle outlet tapped from air handling unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
We wouldnt have to speculate if we could just get a picture a little further back that shows where the yellow and black go.

For all we know power could be coming down the flex. into the handy box and into the unit for some reason instead of originating in the unit and going out.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We wouldnt have to speculate if we could just get a picture a little further back that shows where the yellow and black go.

For all we know power could be coming down the flex. into the handy box and into the unit for some reason instead of originating in the unit and going out.

You keep mentioning flex. I have yet to see any flex. Where are you seeing it? Which picture is it in?

mgookin

A 120V receptacle outlet is powered from an Air Handling Unit (208V) to power a cord connected pump. Which sections of NEC 2002 are violated. I believe that the following sections apply 210.21(B)(1), (3), 240.21, 406.3(A). Any thoughts.

Is that a 208v 3phase ahu and they're tapping one leg for the 120v?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That is what it looks like on the surface, but we are led to believe that the equipment is single phase 240 supplied with 208 line to line and no neutral appears to be included.
So the question is where the neutral is coming from and why is the yellow from the equipment connected to a white going into the back of the box.
If the power to the equipment is coming down the exterior flex into the box with the outlet and then brought through the back of the box into the equipment, what is going on?
Does that help?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
Are the two pictures of the same unit? Picture 1 appears to have a tile floor. Picture 2 appears to be concrete.

Picture I has a pump for a drain. Picture 2 appears to have a drain line on the floor.

Picture 1 shows a receptacle being feed from the side of the unit. Picture 2 shows a power feed to what appears to be a 5kw heater.

kwired

Electron manager
You keep mentioning flex. I have yet to see any flex. Where are you seeing it? Which picture is it in?
Post #1, entering the top of the device box housing the receptacle in question. It is either flexible metal conduit, AC or MC cable.

Are the two pictures of the same unit? Picture 1 appears to have a tile floor. Picture 2 appears to be concrete.

Picture I has a pump for a drain. Picture 2 appears to have a drain line on the floor.

Picture 1 shows a receptacle being feed from the side of the unit. Picture 2 shows a power feed to what appears to be a 5kw heater.
I assume you mean picture 1 is what is in post 1 and picture 2 is what is in post 3.

picture 2 doesn't even give us a view of the floor, just a little sliver of wall in the background on the left side of the photo.

I do agree with the last sentence you have there - it does look more like a power feed to an air handler with a low wattage (5kW or less) heat strip installed, many of those just have leads that typically are "wire nutted" to the supply conductors.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Post #1, entering the top of the device box housing the receptacle in question. It is either flexible metal conduit, AC or MC cable.

There must be something wrong with my settings. I see no flex, no handy box. All I see is just a little of the receptacle with the cord plugged in and maybe just a little of the box the recep is mounted in. But not enough showing to see what kind of box it is and definitely don't see enough to see any type cable running to the box.

jumper

There must be something wrong with my settings. I see no flex, no handy box. All I see is just a little of the receptacle with the cord plugged in and maybe just a little of the box the recep is mounted in. But not enough showing to see what kind of box it is and definitely don't see enough to see any type cable running to the box.

It is there Bill, I see it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation

My guess is that for some reason your browser (mobile?) is trying to display the whole picture inline instead of a thumbnail and it does not fit and gets cropped.
Try clicking on the image. That may display it in a new window where you can zoom or scroll it as necessary to see it all.
Now we know that you are not crazy, just persecuted by your technology.
:)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
This would make more sense to me if the Black,White and Green 120v power was coming down the flex to the Receptacle in the handy box that powers the pump then went inside to a 120v coil on a relay where if the 120v power was lost to the pump a relay would fall out and the unit would shut down so the condensate pan wouldnt overflow but I'm just grasping at straws.

I still think the 120v power is going into the unit not tapped from the unit and going out but I may be wrong.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
My guess is that for some reason your browser (mobile?) is trying to display the whole picture inline instead of a thumbnail and it does not fit and gets cropped.
Try clicking on the image. That may display it in a new window where you can zoom or scroll it as necessary to see it all.
Now we know that you are not crazy, just persecuted by your technology.
:)

Says someone who has to have a reminder of how his post got posted!:p

Seriously, I use Firefox and I went back and right clicked the picture. That gives me the ability to "view the image". I could see the whole thing then.
I also looked at the second photo. The white and yellow wires looked like they were in some type of fancy connector. That's because I could only see a portion of the picture.
When I looked at it after right clicking it, I could see them fancy connectors were just wire nuts!:roll::D

kwired

Electron manager
This would make more sense to me if the Black,White and Green 120v power was coming down the flex to the Receptacle in the handy box that powers the pump then went inside to a 120v coil on a relay where if the 120v power was lost to the pump a relay would fall out and the unit would shut down so the condensate pan wouldnt overflow but I'm just grasping at straws.

I still think the 120v power is going into the unit not tapped from the unit and going out but I may be wrong.
The condensate pumps like the one in the OP usually have a pair of leads for the purpose of locking out the equipment should the reservoir be full because of pump failure. It is a float switch inside the pump housing and you tie it to the 24 volt control circuit of the air handler so that it interrupts either all controls, or just the AC only is possible if your heating equipment doesn't produce any condensation. In fact that may be what the cable tied to the drain line is in the picture in OP.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
It does make more sense to look at whether the pump is working (I.e. a float) than just looking to see whether the pump has power.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

kwired

Electron manager
It does make more sense to look at whether the pump is working (I.e. a float) than just looking to see whether the pump has power.

Sent from my Droid Maxx
I agree, if you supply a relay from the receptacle circuit to prove power, you still don't prove the pump became unplugged, or the discharge line maybe is plugged. Is not 100% fail safe, but is a better method than the 120 volt relay, and will work even if there is no 120 volt power.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I agree, if you supply a relay from the receptacle circuit to prove power, you still don't prove the pump became unplugged, or the discharge line maybe is plugged. Is not 100% fail safe, but is a better method than the 120 volt relay, and will work even if there is no 120 volt power.

Agreed.

This setup is still not adding up until we can see where the Yellow and Black terminate inside the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.