Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Recessed Cans/High Hats WAGO's

• I use them.

Votes: 55 67.9%
  • I do not use them.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I use them on the ground only.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I am so cheap, I cut them out and save them for something else.

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
FACT: If you are having wago problems its because you are not installing them correctly,

I am sure properly installed wagos and wirenuts have failed.

I have used these and the Ideal clear "Insure"s exclusively over nuts for 4 years with zero failures.

1) How do you know you have zero failures?

2) Out of all the push in connectors sold what percentage do you think you have installed?

I will remain conservative and let some time pass before giving up wirenuts.:)

Power Tech

No more little blue nuts.

I don't like all the other sizes but the semi new little orange wirenut by Scotchlock are great for 2 #12 and a fixture wire.

I seen a house wired with those feed through crimp down connectors made for long rows of fluorescent fixtures. I am sure they were in there for 10+ years but then the ones with a good load on them began to fail.

I am doing a remodel on the other side of the house. The lady comes over and says,"what did you do, my vacuum stopped working?" Found a box with one all melted.

I've posted these thoughts before, but let me repeat:

I've had no known failures of Wago's, and my guys have installed 1000's.

With Bob, I'm sure there are some failures of every type of wire connector, but Wago's have proven to save time and to be hand/wrist/finger friendly.

You do need to be careful to visualize that the wires are in fact visible in the clear window of the connector.

Sparky Jr. twisted a Wago that had 3 #14s in it, cuz that's how I taught him to do wirenuts. It melted it due to arcing.. bad sparky jr...

VoltageHz

I've worked for a large contractor that switched over to Wagos only, no more wirenuts. All I've heard are good things.

There are two things to ensure a good installation:

A) Look thru the clear window to make sure the conductor is all the way up into the connector.
B) Sort the wires out so that you can shape them into the box with the top of the Wago against one of the side walls. Make sure that the last bend of the wires is pushing the wires into the Wago against the side wall of the box. You want the spring tension of the bent wires to be pushing the wires into the Wago, you don't want the force pulling the wire out of it.

How long did it take from the time back stab receptacles (same principle as wagos?)started being used untill it was realized that they suck?
I wasn't around then so I really would like those of you who were, to give your best recollection.
I'll wait that amount of time then decide if I want to use wagos or similar for feed through.

nhfire77

In an effort to share more information here is the link to the spec sheet for the parts in question.

I have used the Ideal Insure a few times "problem" connections, but never Wagos.

I now have 28 Halo H7 cans with them to work with, and, I know it will only add about an hour or two at the most, but I am glad we are having the discussion

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What tickles me about this is, it's not like there's some big secret as to how to install these things. You strip the wire, you stick it in. I'm beginning to wonder if the Wago Loyalists have never seen a properly installed one fail? The ones I've seen that failed were pushed all the way in, just the way they were supposed to be.

There may be two more steps to installing a wirenut, but I can plainly see when a wirenut has been employed without getting the wires twisted together, either before or after. I can't bring myself to blame that failure on the wirenut, it was obviously installed wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.