recessed fixtures in fire rated ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

I have a customer that wants to use recessed fluorescent fixtures in an attached garage ceiling.. there is living space above ,.so the ceiling will be fire rated .

I told him he would need to line the interior of the bay with the same system (5/8 drywall) where the lights would be located ,.

Any thoughts??

sandsnow

are they 1 x 4 or 2x 4 or recessed cans? In all cases many jurisdictions accept building a drywall box above the luminaire. There are kits for recessed cans in fire resistive ceilings.

dcspector

are they 1 x 4 or 2x 4 or recessed cans? In all cases many jurisdictions accept building a drywall box above the luminaire. There are kits for recessed cans in fire resistive ceilings.

yeah larry that is what I normally see the rated assembly is maintained by creating the same rated assembly niche for the can.

RICK NAPIER

A single layer would not be adequate. The IRC would require 2 layers of 5/8 sheetrock glued and taped. They do make recessed fixtures with a 2 hour rating.

dcspector

A single layer would not be adequate. The IRC would require 2 layers of 5/8 sheetrock glued and taped. They do make recessed fixtures with a 2 hour rating.

Huh? Rick what did I miss? IRC 309.2 would only require one layer of 5/8 X in this application of a One and Two Family Dwelling unless this turns out to be a Multi Family.

RICK NAPIER

My mistake in NJ they have amended this code section to require a 1 hour seperation which would be double layer of 5/8 sheetrock. I had forgotten it was a state change and not in the international version.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would agree with Larry, but there are some changes in the IBC in regards to fire assemblies in residential and I believe that dcspector may be right.

M. D.

it is a single family and I think he is thinking 1x4 fixtures ,.. 5/8" is what is commonly installed where I work,. not sure what the building code says??

M. D.

From the Mass State Building Code CMR 780

5309.2 Separation Required.

The garage shall be
separated from the residence and its attic area by not
less than 5/8" inch Type X gypsum board or
equivalent (15.9 mm) gypsum board applied to the
garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall
be separated from all habitable rooms above by not
less than 5/8" -inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board
or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-
ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the
separation shall also be protected by not less than-inch (15.9 mm) gypsum board or equivalent.

ispark

I am working with a similar set up in a basement home theater. Ceiling will be drywalled with recessed cans. HO built boxes out of MDF lined with 5/8" drywall to house the cans, mainly for keeping sound in but also for fire "blocking". All seams were caulked with Red fire rated caulk. Not fun to wire.

raider1

Staff member
I am working with a similar set up in a basement home theater. Ceiling will be drywalled with recessed cans. HO built boxes out of MDF lined with 5/8" drywall to house the cans, mainly for keeping sound in but also for fire "blocking". All seams were caulked with Red fire rated caulk. Not fun to wire.

Is the ceiling of the home theater your wiring really a fire rated assembly?

There is a difference between fire bloocking and draft stopping and having a true firerated assembly.

Chris

sandsnow

Is the ceiling of the home theater your wiring really a fire rated assembly?

There is a difference between fire bloocking and draft stopping and having a true firerated assembly.

Chris

Bingo!!! I also pose the same question where a garage is involved. Unless the building sode calls out a fire wall, fire partition or fire barrier, it is not a "real" fire resistive assembly. A lot of inspectors make that leap to be on the "safe side"

In NYS, we are following the State codes, including the Fire Code and the Residential Code.
Both classify the walls/floors/ceilings of the garage adjacent to living space as a fire rated assembly. The penetration of the assembly whether it is a membrane penetration or through penetration is required to be repaired with a product listed for the type and purpose.

Here is a product that does so for recessed fixtures.

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

Sorry, I had to resize these pics, they were way too big.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Pierre,
What is the Metal wrapping or banding the furring strip?
this is the means of connection of the furring strip to Wood ?

I don't see a screw any where ?

I never seen that product ... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.