Recessed light, potential conflict of 413.29

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

mdshunk said:
I guess I've learned something today. I always took for granted that recessed light junction boxes are always accessible after the finish ceiling is installed. Now, I realize that there's at least one model that will require access from above, and I know not to use that one where it will be completely sealed in. This is something to keep your eye's peeled for as the energy codes gets stricter as the years tick by. I'm sure it's something electricians are going to find objectionable enough that the manufacturers will make changes to their product to assure access.

I agree 100%!

M. D.

I think that is because it ain't supposed to be there , but that is a total guess ,.. I was just thinking firefighters water and weight.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
recessed

recessed

while we're talkin' fixtures....

I had an installtion today of several Lithonia L3M6 recessed.
The fixture says IC rated,,,all well and fine...
then it goes on to state "where a vapor barrier is encountered it must be rated 90 c"...

They plan to use blown insualtion in this space.

I have no idea... problem ??? or not

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where are you guys seeing that this housing is only designed for suspended ceiling applications? The spec sheet doesn?t say that only the OP. The bar hangers are designed so they can be used in suspended ceiling application or conventional framing. All of Juno?s and most other manufactures bar hangers are designed this way. The IC-1P housing is the deep version of the IC-1 housing. I have used this housing before and there definitely is access to the box from inside the housing. All of Juno?s housing use the same access plate on both sides of the J-box.

cadpoint

cschmid said:
Now I have lerned someting today too.. yet I have never had to access a junction box on a can light, after it was installed.. Will check more closely from now on..

Take a moment ... ohm it don't, volt it, mini hornets nests otherwise ...

M. D.

It seems to me if this can were for suspended ceilings it would marked "for use in suspended ceilings only" similar to fixtures that are only for "wall mount only

M. D.

augie47 said:
while we're talkin' fixtures....

I had an installtion today of several Lithonia L3M6 recessed.
The fixture says IC rated,,,all well and fine...
then it goes on to state "where a vapor barrier is encountered it must be rated 90 c"...

They plan to use blown insualtion in this space.

I have no idea... problem ??? or not

I think they mean the barrier has to rated at 90 c

nanckekr

Guys, I feel SO bad. I was taking pictures with my camera phone of the inside of the house, only to show that there was no way to get access to the junction box. This is when I discovered that the junction box do not only have a snap-on-snap-off protection sheet on the outside of the box, but also on the inside.

So all you who know the Juno inside out - don't worry - ogf course that house allows for access to the connection through the 4" hole, after removing the can.

Imagine, I have taken this can out maybe 4 times, looking inside every single time, and only now I found it. My bad!

Energize

nanckekr said:
Guys, I feel SO bad. I was taking pictures with my camera phone of the inside of the house, only to show that there was no way to get access to the junction box. This is when I discovered that the junction box do not only have a snap-on-snap-off protection sheet on the outside of the box, but also on the inside.

So all you who know the Juno inside out - don't worry - ogf course that house allows for access to the connection through the 4" hole, after removing the can.

Imagine, I have taken this can out maybe 4 times, looking inside every single time, and only now I found it. My bad!

WELL ! I just read the entire thread with this surprise ending. There's 5 minutes of reading time I will never get back!:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.