Recessed lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I'll get a picture tomorrow. Thermal sensors are NOT near the lamps themselves. They are attached to the box on the fixture where the splices are. I'm guessing that there is a good 1'1/2 foot of mc from the box to the fixture. I was wondering about that while I was wondering about why it was not working. Seemed to be an awful lot of wire that had to get hot before it would pick it up and kick, but wasn't sure if there was something internal within the sensor that measured something else.

Just found a picture of a similar set up.

View attachment 11172
That type of cutout doesn't directly detect heat in the lamp housing. It will cycle if lamp draws more current then the lamp the unit is listed for. Probably can cut out if buried in insulation when it isn't supposed to be as well. Note it does have a neutral lead so it must have some heating going on in the cutout itself even if there is no lamp installed.

Bladnaster

That is from a commercial style can. If there old enough they can be rated for a 300W lamp but they are defiantly NOT ic rated. They are meant to be installed in a drop ceiling with open air all around them.

The install seems to be fine in regards to the wiring and location. Probably the only place in the building that they did a decent job. Was funny because it was just a few days before that I was replacing a couple ceiling tiles in there and noticed how "clean" this area looked as far as the electrical went. Would have never thought to look inside the cans themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.