Red Hooded Sweatshirt / Hardhats

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Surely OSHA has requirements to protect employees against hypothermia or frostbite also. Sounds like job hazards to me. There is likely no one size fits all when deciding what temperature is uncomfortable to an individual. Body core temperature is really the only thing that determines hypothermia or tissue temperature for frostbite.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I appreciate all the replies. :)

George, there's your money maker. Design a sweatshirt whose hood has the gizmos to attach your hard hat.

Funny you should mention it, we were talking along the same lines this morning. "Boy, we just need to think of some accessory to a safety device, and then some goob at OSHA will say, 'Well, somebody makes one, so it must be required.' We'll be rich!" :D

Surely OSHA has requirements to protect employees against hypothermia or frostbite also. Sounds like job hazards to me.

Yup. We had a job safety meeting a couple weeks ago that cracked me up, about frostbite and hypothermia. The following week, we catch grief about the popular method of getting away from the cold. You can't win for losing. :)

iwire said:
OSHA fines are expensive and costly to fight. Just simply buy a helmet liner and be done with it.

Yeah, that's about the size of it. I've got a spare hardhat, I'll throw the liner in that one and trade off at lunch or something.

Thanks again all!

WorkSafe

Actually, OSHA has no regulations on hot or cold weather. It's up to the employee to dress accordingly and is also probably a condition of employement.

OSHA probably would consider a hoodie under a helmet de minimus and would not cost a dime.

This just sounds like a over zealous individual to me.

kwired

Electron manager
Actually, OSHA has no regulations on hot or cold weather. It's up to the employee to dress accordingly and is also probably a condition of employement.

Extreme heat and cold are just as much a health hazard as high voltage, lead paint, asbestos, rotating machinery, falling objects, falling workers, and many other items.

Severe injury or even death are possibilities with all of these things, and they all exist at workplaces, yet they need to protect workers from getting paper cuts.

Now after saying that I still think the employers insurance company would likely have some input on what should be company policy for heat or cold or any other hazard for that matter.

iwire

Staff member
1910.132(h)(4)

The employer is not required to pay for:

1910.132(h)(4)(iii)

Ordinary clothing, skin creams, or other items, used solely for protection from weather, such as winter coats, jackets, gloves, parkas, rubber boots, hats, raincoats, ordinary sunglasses, and sunscreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.