Red leg revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pierre,
Are you sure about that? I thought that the only reason that you find the high leg in the C phase position was because of how some older metering equipment works. It is my understanding that even on the utility side the high leg is the center or B phase, but just landed in the C phase position at the metering equipment.

Don,
Yes I am sure. I believe this is why we see so many people confuse the location of this conductor.

e57

Furthermore why is that conduit running right in front of the panel?
Yeah....

I bet this sign was hung after some equipment let smoke out.

IMGP2311.jpg
That's my thinking too... Some one rotated the phases up-stream - then magic marker man set something on fire - but lacked phase tape or the effort to correct it...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don,
Yes I am sure. I believe this is why we see so many people confuse the location of this conductor.
The reason we see the confusion on this issue is the fact that it has to be in the C phase position for some metering equipment to work. I don't think it is a NESC rule, at least I can't find such a rule in my copy, but it is about 20 years old. Can you cite the section and the rule?

Chenley

Just installed a new 3-phase service last week and the wild leg had to be on the C phase of the meter base. I landed the wild leg on B within the main panel though. PoCo says there meters won't give a true reading if it's not landed on the C phase within the meter base.

You'll see it on Milbank meter bases, there's two orange stickers above and below the C phase stating "Power Leg".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where are the equipment grounding conductors? I dont see any green or bare conductors.

I appears that there are metallic conduits or AC cables containing those circuit conductors so I would guess that no wire type EGC is required.

hardworkingstiff

You're both right, I should have included that info in my post.

I didn't know the code reference and didn't take the time to look it up so I didn't post it (lazy me, sorry).

The picture looks like the panel takes QO (not QOB) breakers. Square D does not make (that I've ever found) a 2-pole QO that is straight 240-volt rated. They do make a QOB-H that is straight 240-volt rated, but alas, I don't think that panel accepts QOB breakers.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I didn't know the code reference and didn't take the time to look it up so I didn't post it (lazy me, sorry).

The picture looks like the panel takes QO (not QOB) breakers. Square D does not make (that I've ever found) a 2-pole QO that is straight 240-volt rated. They do make a QOB-H that is straight 240-volt rated, but alas, I don't think that panel accepts QOB breakers.

I may be wrong, but I think these fit the requirement.
I recall having to purchase some (note the price difference between slash rated and non slash rated)
View attachment 4011

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since some of us, who almost never work on Delta systems, are a little fuzzy with the slash rated CB's could someone explain it?

hardworkingstiff

Since some of us, who almost never work on Delta systems, are a little fuzzy with the slash rated CB's could someone explain it?

(I hope I don't screw this up).

A slash rated breaker would say 120/240. If this is on the breaker, then the voltage of any ungrounded phase must not exceed the lowest rating when measured to ground and the voltage between any ungrouded phases must not exceed the higher rating.

So, if you used this breaker on a high-leg phase and another phase, you would meet the 2nd requirement because the voltage between phases wold be 240-volts. You would not meet the 1st requirement because the high-leg voltage to ground would be in excess of 120-volt (lower slash rating of the breaker).

To use the high-leg and another phase, you would need a breaker that did not have a "/" rating. As Augie pointed out, the cost of these breakers is quite a premium.

Last edited:

220/221

I thought that the only reason that you find the high leg in the C phase position was because of how some older metering equipment works. It is my understanding that even on the utility side the high leg is the center or B phase, but just landed in the C phase position at the metering equipment.

In my area, the older delta systems placed the high leg on C phase both at the meter and at the panel.

Sometime, I am guessing in the late 60's, they changed the panel connection to B phase. It is still on C at the meter.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen this done before although I don't think a good idea

the open positions in the panel should be the "wild leg" no matter if on the proper buss or not.

on these older QO panels there were three main buss bars with the breaker attachment sections bolted to the main buss.

Take a close look at the panel in the OP. In the open positions the secections that allow a breaker to plug on have been removed

I have run into panels before where someone has done this probably to keep someone that is not qualified from accidently connecting 120 volt circuit to wild leg. What I don't like is now if I want to use that position for something that will work there I can't.

I like to see unqualified people burn up equipment on wild leg, it shows that they are not qualified, and if you try to explain what they did they look totally confused.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I have seen this done before although I don't think a good idea

the open positions in the panel should be the "wild leg" no matter if on the proper buss or not.

on these older QO panels there were three main buss bars with the breaker attachment sections bolted to the main buss.

Take a close look at the panel in the OP. In the open positions the secections that allow a breaker to plug on have been removed

I have run into panels before where someone has done this probably to keep someone that is not qualified from accidently connecting 120 volt circuit to wild leg. What I don't like is now if I want to use that position for something that will work there I can't.

I like to see unqualified people burn up equipment on wild leg, it shows that they are not qualified, and if you try to explain what they did they look totally confused.
I was trying to explain it to one guy, like you say he looked totally confused, he said "but I've run 120 volt circuits out of a three phase panel before." Must have been his first delta.

russ

Concerning the center phase being marked orange.
Often when someone unfamiliar with 240v four wire delta systems, miss mark them as if they were 208v Wye.
Could be it was never remarked, and the utility company figured out what was terminated on the C phase in the meter and tied it in that way to suit there needs.
You would think that shouldn't happen, and it would at least be remarked, but it could.

Most of the 3 phase in my area is 240v four wire delta. All the meters for this system are wired with the 208v leg in the C phase position. The utility meter requires 120v to ground at the B phase for the meter to operate.

Most of the time the 208v leg is move to the center or B phase position at the Main Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.