Repetitive resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kid_stevens

I have been in several stores that had this kind of a problem. The breaker is now tripping so much that I worry about a fire. That is until I put a latching current meter on the circuit and see the breaker dropping out at 12amps or so. They have been cycled so many times due to a real overload that they moved the problem equipment to a different circuit to lighten the load. Well the old breaker is harmed by running at 20 or more Amps before it trips. Then it is reset while still hot and this weakens the breaker's sense circuit so much that it has no retention left. hundreds of these cycles in a year and the breaker is trashed.

realolman

I think that's sort of along similar lines that iwire was talking about... why would what you are describing ruin the insulation?

tallguy

ptonsparky said:
When church ladies see a receptacle you can be assured there will be something(s) of 1200 watts or larger plugged into it. One circuit a duplex in not enough.

LOL... so true. Update...

On this circuit we had only two devices: Bunn coffee thingy = 13A & Oven Roaster (warming pan) = 12A for a total of 25A load (continuous for our intents and purposes).

CB was 20A w/ #12 wire, tripping every 2-3 minutes, and then progressively faster. I'm beginning to think that is what made them stop, rather than my intervention.:mad:

Anyway, here is the photographic evidence. The breaker is the only one in the picture that is in the off/open position:
View attachment 815

The receptacles look to be fine as well, although the EGC is MIA. Not sure why as the NM sheath appeared to be well after the era when one would at least expect to see a reduced size ground. It was not there though... The non-GFI receptacle was backstabbed.
View attachment 816

I don't see any discoloration or insulation degradation on either of these pictures.

The missing EGC has me flummoxed, but ultimately is a non-issue for this pair of receps since they are GFCI protected. Not so the Bunn recep on the opposite side of the wall...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
tallguy said:
Where have I seen this picture before?

attachment.php

A-ha!

tallguy

cschmid said:
that looks alright to me.. ITE Siemens panel tough to tell.. so you did go help them nice ladies out at the church..

Not exactly... They'll be told they were lucky... this time... don't do it again. I'll try to be all stern about it I suppose. Practically, I think they could do it for a good many dinners before any deterioration would occur. I'll counsel them not to chance it though.:)

It'll go on the maintenance list for future upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.