Replace Lugs of DG225NRK Disconnect switch to double lugs

vertx93

Occupation
Apprentice
Is it possible (and safe) to change the lug of the DG225NRK Disconnect switch from a single conductor to a double conductor lug?
Here is the pic of the existing lug and the one I would like to replace it with: Thank for any advice.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
1. Welcome to the forum
2. Thanks for the picture it makes comments easier
3. Gear mfgs don’t make lugs they outsource purchasing. Check with mfgs literature to see if they offer a double lug

vertx93

Occupation
Apprentice
1. Welcome to the forum
2. Thanks for the picture it makes comments easier
3. Gear mfgs don’t make lugs they outsource purchasing. Check with mfgs literature to see if they offer a double lug
Thanks for the welcome.
I have been looking at datasheets available online and I can't seem to find a double lug accessory for this device from the manufacturer. I was thinking of just getting double lugs from other sources.

vertx93

Occupation
Apprentice
Notice the ’bump’ on the bottom of your proposed lug. It will not fit properly without modification.
I certainly would not use it on a new install.

extend the single wire to a J or terminal box where you ca add conductors.
Hi @ptonsparky, thank you for pointing that out. So I'm guessing, if I can find one that has a flat bottom lug, I could use that? Something like this one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would change just not to the type with the "bump". If you look closely at the existing lugs you'll see two silver screws, one on each side. Those are to prevent the lug from turning when tightening. I you use a wider replacement lug those may need to be removed.