Requirements to bond rebar in structures.

Raine_EE

Occupation
Engineer
I got asked this on a project and I am not aware of any such requirements. Some concrete enclosures were ordered. They are concrete base and metal roofs. Some one raised to me that the enclosures did not have rebar pigtails to bond to in the concrete base. I said there was no such requirement NESC NEC etc that would mandate this but bonding wouldn't be a bad idea per say. It shouldn't be a show stopper.

Rebar is not an exposed conductive material and encased by 3" of concrete. The roofs can easily be bonded to system grounds. The pig tail would be nice for cathodic protection. There are many subsurface concrete structures in my area that are decades old and completely lack ground rods. Not say it is a good practice. But its not uncommon.
Any thoughts on requirements for bonding rebar in precast manholes, enclosures, handholes, etc?

Literally the only thing I can think of is if the concrete spalls or cracks in 30 years and rebar is exposed then having that rebar bonded to ground prevents it from having touch potential.

Raine_EE

Occupation
Engineer
Thats kind of how I am swinging right now. If I told the developer to source new pull boxes in this market I would probably get thrown in a river. Especially this late in the project.