residental load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I did. I never saw the baseboard heaters in each room, or how the circuit was separated.
If each circuit only had 8-9 amps of load that would cut your load calculation for those circuits nearly in half.

What value did you use in your calculation for the 9600VA range you mentioned? Table 220.55 says you can use 8kW for this range in your calculations. Or was 9600 also a determination made because you have a 40 amp breaker supplying the circuit? Still 8kW is pretty common value allowed for a single range.

fjm

The mini split 15000btu is a heat pump. think it will be a 215 breaker small load, snapped that photo, to a look at the panel door cover, saw I could add a tandem, and went on my way... then told the AC contractor there was room in the panel and a upgrade was not needed so he could sell his work. Then I second guessed the electrical service after I ran my mouth.

kwired

Electron manager
The mini split 15000btu is a heat pump. think it will be a 215 breaker small load, snapped that photo, to a look at the panel door cover, saw I could add a tandem, and went on my way... then told the AC contractor there was room in the panel and a upgrade was not needed so he could sell his work. Then I second guessed the electrical service after I ran my mouth.
Unless this is heating/cooling a new space that wasn't conditioned before, reality is that it generally will impact the existing load. NEC don't necessarily see it that way unless you have interlocking methods to prevent operation of existing heating/cooling loads simultaneously, but I'd bet you seldom would have overloading issues unless you already had them before hand.

Heat and cool loads would seldom if ever operate at same time. Also if mini split is added to a room already being heated by some of what was in question - you likely do not run that existing heat unless the heat pump is down. The heat pump will easily be 4-6 times more energy efficient then a resistance heater and should take less power to heat the same space. If you happen to run the existing heaters in same space while in cooling mode - maybe you want to overload something and have it trip to let you know something isn't right. (again NEC doesn't necessarily see it that way)

Status
Not open for further replies.