Residential service

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

If one were to install a 200 amp disconnect outside next to the meter and then about 30 feet of SER to the panel inside does the disconnect need to be fused? I think the answer is yes but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

M.D. said:
230.91 The overcurrent protection shall be an integral part of the disconnect or be located adjacent thereto....

Cable inside or outside ,.. makes no difference ,.. unless you get rid of the disconnect.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I cannot see how 30 feet would be the nearest point of entrance. I vote OCPD needed in the service disco

And that is why I said that we put in our ordinace that it must be where it enters the building so that we don't have to decide where "nearest the point of entrance is". Here we never have that problem as all of the panels we install are "all-in-ones".

If people on here think that it ok to drill holes in the side of an LB to add two pipes because the code doesn't say you can't, then they would argue that "nearest the point" is up for discussion too. : )

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
And that is why I said that we put in our ordinace that it must be where it enters the building so that we don't have to decide where "nearest the point of entrance is". Here we never have that problem as all of the panels we install are "all-in-ones".

If people on here think that it ok to drill holes in the side of an LB to add two pipes because the code doesn't say you can't, then they would argue that "nearest the point" is up for discussion too. : )

LMAO, and check the spelling or you may get 2 pages of bickering.:D
Like I suggested use a main breaker/fuse and then a main lug only panel. That way you save money on the distribution panel. I don't know how much you guys are paying for a 200 amp meter with main combo panel but on the left coast we get them for about $125. Our POCO does not give us a list of meter sockets or supply them, like some of the guys have said there POCO does, so we have quite a choice. The BIG difference is (around here) if you tried to run SEU or SER exposed it had better be protected, and the definition of protected is going to be "enclosed", no running it up the wall, I guess we have more "AX wielding SEU hating psychopaths" running around here then you east coasters have.

Status
Not open for further replies.