Residential Wiring with nonmetallic sheathed cable (Romex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcelec

The fan circuit must be locked into the light circuit on an interior bath to satisfy both vent and lighting code requirements. The code violation occurs when the bathroom venting is not used if the light switch is separate. This is a common violation that is not enforced by inspectors not putting mechanical and electrical code requirements together. Very common oversight. rbj

OK....code number?

I have not heard of the light and fan having to come on at the same time.

gndrod

R303.3

R303.3

OK....code number?

I have not heard of the light and fan having to come on at the same time.

That is probably because the jurisdictions you work in do not enforce a requirement. The mechanical air circulation is a UBC, MBC, and IRC requirement for interior bathroom venting code for methane and moisture exhaust. There are options such as installing an operable interior skylight or operable window on an exterior wall. Like leading a horse to water, the ventilation and light switch does not need to be turned on when using a bathroom but it needs to be installed.
The sequence of cascaded switching or a single switch requirement fulfills both national and local code enforcement for safety and health reasons. Check out the above books, I do not have the latest. I am sure most residential home buyers won't be peeing in the dark and lighting a match to clear the methane out. The above code books are available to electricians and contractors on most any construction webstore on the internet. Contractor City is a good source.

On a side note, first hand experience of submitting many house design plans to various building departments has not once required the switch data on the drawings, but on final buyoff, the switching combination has been a requirement from seasoned building inspectors in at least six left coast states I have worked in. rbj

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
thankfully in TN we still have outhouses and can skirt around that requirement

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Section 1203.4.2.1 of the UBC: Rooms containing bathtubs, showers, spas and similar bathing fixtures shall be mechanicall ventilated in accordance with the Mechanical Code.

Section 402.3 of the UMC: ....The system shall operate so that all rooms and spaces are continuously provided with the required ventilation rate while occupied.

gndrod

Section 1203.4.2.1 of the UBC: Rooms containing bathtubs, showers, spas and similar bathing fixtures shall be mechanicall ventilated in accordance with the Mechanical Code.

Section 402.3 of the UMC: ....The system shall operate so that all rooms and spaces are continuously provided with the required ventilation rate while occupied.

Thanks John. rbj

rcarroll

1. What year UBC & UMC?

2. Who's still using the uniform codes?
:-?

rcelec

Can I view these code books online?

gndrod

Uniform Codes

Uniform Codes

1. What year UBC & UMC?

2. Who's still using the uniform codes?
:-?

Uniform Codes are still being used in many States in the form of adoption. Like the NEC, some States still refer to past code issues. The IRC is a good example of minimal code detail that cannot list all Uniform Codes without creating telephone book size publication. The ICC is an independent organization promulgated by BOCA, ICBO, and SBCCI as an international interest to construction conformity and a guide to code enforcement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.