Responsibility for preexisting work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
No I recieved a few PM's that is. I forwarded a very mild one off to a Moderator but some were down right nasty full of colorful metaphors......oh well.

Hey you should be proud!
Hey it takes a lot of chutzpah to go against a sea of experts and wanta-be-experts all disagreeing with your position. Especially with such an weak position :grin:

But you stood your ground...er...mostly.

cpal

I am a recently licensed electrician working for my self. .

Congratulations The test in Mass can be a pain

I've been doing work on houses built in the early 1900's. before the work is inspected.

In Mass ??

how much of the preexisting wiring am I responsible for if I make a minor changes, say, add additional receptacles off an existing circuit that is not up to today's code standards. .

Read rule 3 (three)527 CMR:12

Also, if I notice other code violations in areas I'm not working on, what is my responsibility. Permits are pulled on all work, but I'd like to get it completely right before the work is inspected.

Again if your work and permitting is in MA. "IMO" rule three restricts you from extending a violation or creating one. You are not responsible for existing wiring unless you touch it then rule 3 applies. It's a little confusing and a group of inspectors seldom agree. Thats why you have an appeals process.

If you are not working in MA forget what I typed.:)

I am a recently licensed electrician working for my self. I've been doing work on houses built in the early 1900's. My question is this, how much of the preexisting wiring am I responsible for if I make a minor changes, say, add additional receptacles off an existing circuit that is not up to today's code standards. Also, if I notice other code violations in areas I'm not working on, what is my responsibility. Permits are pulled on all work, but I'd like to get it completely right before the work is inspected.

As a minimum to the extent that the additional installation complies with the current code. Eg. extending an existing circuit to a new receptacle that requires grounding, but there is no ground wire available in the existing circuit, so you must provide a grounding wire to the new receptacle(s), but not to the existing ones. In this case you may want to suggest to the homeowner to rewire the existing circuit and replace the existing receptacles or just run a separate circuit.

M. D.

In Mass there is no way to add a grounding conductor ,.. so there is no extending that old wiring,.. 250.130(c) was removed from the MEC

Status
Not open for further replies.