Rings for electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtucker

Years ago, I was an EMT. One day, we got a call to transport a guy from one hospital to another. He'd been in a construction accident--fell off a ladder, and his wedding ring caught and he lost his finger. We were taking him to another hospital to see whether they could re-attach it. His wife was with him in the ambulance, and she couldn't stop crying. The guy told me she was crying because he was wearing the ring because she'd insisted--even though he'd told her it was dangerous.

When we got to the second hospital, one of the nurses told me they didn't even try to re-attach fingers other than the thumb, because it probably wouldn't take (but that was 25 years ago).

RoberteFuhr

NFPA 70E Section 130.6.D states that

(D) Conductive Articles BeingWorn. Conductive articles of jewelry and clothing (such as watchbands, bracelets, rings, key chains, necklaces, metalized aprons, cloth with conductive thread, metal headgear, or metal frame glasses)
shall not be worn where they present an electrical contact hazard with exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts.

brian john

The best ring is no ring...Unless it is a rubber band.

I had an employee and his wife went ballistic on him for not wearing the ring 24x7. My thought is if that is the only thing keeping you straight your marriage is in more trouble that a simple ring can fix.

renosteinke

Last night, while channel surfing, I came across a show called "1000 Ways to Die." Here's the story:

Boy meets girl. They feel frisky. Nearby is a pad-mount transformer of just the right height. Bpy sets girl atop, not knowing the case is hot. She's OK, 'bird on a wire.' He, however, has a piercing in a very private place, contacts the case, and goes to heaven before he reached nirvana.

If only he had worn PPE ....

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
If it's an issue for the wife, show her this thread.....

That might not be such a good idea - hate to have her jealous of the forum :D

kwired

Electron manager
Last night, while channel surfing, I came across a show called "1000 Ways to Die." Here's the story:

Boy meets girl. They feel frisky. Nearby is a pad-mount transformer of just the right height. Bpy sets girl atop, not knowing the case is hot. She's OK, 'bird on a wire.' He, however, has a piercing in a very private place, contacts the case, and goes to heaven before he reached nirvana.

If only he had worn PPE ....

Not going to say impossible but very unlikely.

1. how did he set her on top without touching her unless he threw her there? If she climbed on top herself she would have contacted the case and ground simultaneously unless she jumped.

2. If their intent is to get intimate how does he get close enough to make the alleged contact that kills him but never touched her and exposed her to the same danger.

If the source of voltage was the secondary of the transformer maybe a little more possible if the source was the primary of a medium voltage system the chance of them both getting killed goes up dramatically.

peter d

I'd say if this is really a problem for a wife, go the tattoo route. The ring can cover up the tattoo at the end of the day. But that's just my line of thinking. I'm trying to be logical here. Oh, and I'm not married either. ;)

Legrand

Well I'm one of the ones with a tattoo, It's in old chinese and says my wife's name, hers is hippey flowers, you have to be pretty committed to a MARRIAGE, for better or worse none of this divorcing when things get hard. I can always claim the tattoo says something else if times called for it.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
A guy slipped ~ 3yr. ago on a ship ladder fell about 25' ,his ring was still on the safety chain hook at the top of the ladder; with his finger still in it.
The power plant changed all safety chain to swing gates added grit bar to all ship ladders and now no rings and must have gloves on.

ohmhead

Story time

Story time

Back a few years ago in the 70 s a electrician on our job was working in a hot panel making up a 3 phase 480 volt motor circuit to a 125 amp breaker.

Nothing special that day i was in the room with him i just asked him what time it was about 1/2 hour ago just before break time. He had on a wrist watch on his left arm i guess he was checking the time again after a few minutes when his arm touch the panel can side and not looking he was touching the metal part of the screw driver to the hot breaker he just wasnt looking or slipped his fingers onto the metal screw driver ! Breaker was on by mistake ! To this day he has a burn scar on his arm a kinda red ring the same size as the watch its a burn mark and it was one second ill never forget the metal watch welded to the can side it would not let go .

When he dropped to the floor his arm was welded to the can side thats when he broke free but breaker never tripped !

Got one or two more storys but i think you get the point !

renosteinke

Looks like my story got everyone's attention!

I just report; we all know TV shows are NEVER wrong ... right? :D

The story does serve a useful purpose, though: the days where 'men's jewelry' was limited to wedding rings and wristwatches is long gone. Youngsters place metal in all sorts of places, all over their bodies ... and we keep trying to get the ladies interested in the trade.

Circumstances matter as well. In some places guys have 'belt buckles' large enough to serve as hubcaps. I can only imagine how many times those snag on attic wires! At the other extreme, the US military has even changed to plastic belt buckles, due to IED-blast (same standards as we use for arc-flash PPE) issues.

Teaspoon

Personally I don't wear any rings,watches,or any other jewlery when I am working.
I told my wife many years ago if the ring was the only thing that keeps us married,
we didn't have much of a marriage. She is very understanding to the dangers of wearing a ring in our line of work.
I think any woman would understand if the hazzards were explained to them.

mlnk

As an instructor, I do not wear rings or jewelry as an example for students. I do not need to be reminded that I am married. For 40 years, I have tried to avoid punching or drilling holes in myself. On numerous occasions, I have failed and felt like an idiot... Why a human being would voluntarily drill a hole in their body then install metal therein, is beyond me, but lots of the apprentices are into it. However, there is a reason for piercing: One of my buds worked undercover and his earring saved his life because a drug dealer thought it proved he was not a cop!

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have a scar on my ring finger were the ring caught a rung on my extension ladder as I was climbing down. Have not wore it since. It don't have to be machinery to cause damage!

Status
Not open for further replies.