romex and EMT in the same home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

I am getting ready to begin a residential project, a mere 28,000 square foot home, in which the lower level is done in EMT (because the basement is all concrete) but the bulk of the home will done in romex. This will be a "smart home" so there will be alot of long runs for this romex and I am going to need a way to get these runs from the upper two floors, done in romex, down to the mechanical room with a 1200A, 3 phase service, and several lighting control panels, all in EMT. And make it neat.

Are there neat ways to get romex into a commercial type application in nice neat rows? Cable trays, some elaborate system of cable stackers?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Dennis Alwon said:
Get this guy to help you.

View attachment 899

Holy Cow !!!!!!!! That is one clean install. I hope he got paid for all his effort. The only work I have ever seen that neat was comercial fiber optic. Romex just doesn't want to stay that staight. What did you use a giant comb ??????

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stalllingselectric said:
1200a 3phase House? Lmao must be a hotel hehehe

Did you read the sq. footage. It ain't 2,800 sq. feet it is 28,000 sq.feet.
That's like having 2 floors with a 200' long X 70' wide house.---

Bill Gates Home
The house is a modern design in the Pacific lodge style, with classic features such as a large private library and a domed reading room. The house occupies 50,000 square feet (4,600 m?) on a 5.15 acre (2.1 ha) lot. Garage space and outbuildings may occupy an additional 16,000 square feet. Property records indicate eight bedrooms and four building levels. According to King County public records, as of 2005, the total assessed value of the property (land and house) is $135,758,168 and the annual property tax for 2006 is $1,012,321.[1] The address of the mansion is 1835 73rd Ave NE, Medina, WA 98039.

gateshse4.jpg
http://www.goehner.com/gateshse4.jpg

480sparky

Here's some more pix of the same job:
romex2.jpg

romex3.jpg

romex4.jpg

I remember these were posted on another thread, and credit was given to the installer and whoever took the pictures, but I can't find it.

acrwc10 said:
Holy Cow !!!!!!!! What did you use a giant comb ??????

Yes. This one:

mess33.jpg

Last edited:

tallguy

480sparky said:
I remember these were posted on another thread, and credit was given to the installer and whoever took the pictures, but I can't find it.
Here is the thread. These pictures are quite famous now I would say... Harold Endean was a fill-in inspector on this and provided the photos. The EC was R.F. Romano Enterprises in NJ.

To the OP... read through the original thread there, and you will get some tips on how they pulled this off.

peter d

I remember when Harold Endean first posted the pics of that company's work during the rough in stage before he posted the final result as shown here. (I have since been unable to locate the rough-in pics.) Even the stuff that was going to be covered was that neat!

Some electricians will go half way -make the visible stuff really neat but not so much in the walls/ceilings. Not those guys!

peter d

Oh, and can you imagine when those guys walk into the supply house? "Yeah, I need 10 buckets of staples and 100,000 feet of 12/2 please."

tallguy

peter d said:
Some electricians will go half way -make the visible stuff really neat but not so much in the walls/ceilings. Not those guys!
Funny thing is, I tried to look up the contractor, just for yucks to see if they had a website with other pics of their jobs... couldn't find any evidence of them whatsoever. Almost makes you wonder if they went belly up on this thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.