Staff member
Happy Turkey everyone. :)

Enjoy :)

Roasted+Turkey+Dinner+500.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The cable will be in violation of 300.4(D) as it will be run parallel with the top plate of the wall and/or the joists above the wall and withing 1.25" of the nearest edge of those framing members.

iwire

Staff member
The cable will be in violation of 300.4(D) as it will be run parallel with the top plate of the wall and/or the joists above the wall and withing 1.25" of the nearest edge of those framing members.

That would depend on the framing, ceiling and wall thickness (2 layers of 5/8" rock) etc, besides here in MA the distance is reduced to 3/4" :grin:

mcclary's electrical

IMO, 300.4 (d) is worded in his favor. The ending of the sentence says "where screws are likely to penetrate. " Most crown molding would be at east 5 inches wide. That means he's not running in the nailing area, rather 3-4 inches from where the screws are likely to penetrate. Actually alot furthr awat from screw than if you run parallel down a 2x4 with the cable stapled in the center. IMO, this is a legal install.

realolman

This differs from drywall how?

I think that is exactly my point... in principle , it doesn't.

300.4(D) requires NM cable, whether exposed or concealed, to be installed more than 1-1/4" from the nearest edge of the framing member....to protect from penetration of screws or nails.... or covered by a steel plate.

I wonder how far off it would be to cite 300.4(E) ... I know it isn't exacly a shallow groove under a cove molding, but it isn't exactly NOT a shallow groove either. Is it necessary to explicitly name every substance that could cover it, and every situation that could possibly come up? You can't cover it with wallboard, siding, or paneling, carpeting or similar finish. Does the physical shape of the cove molding differentiate it that much from the other stuff, or is the recurring theme "300.4 Protection Against Physical Damage"?

I think that penetration is just as likely in the cove molding as the drywall. To me, the difference is that exposed, you can see it... concealed you can't, and if you're gonna conceal it, you should make an effort to ensure it's not likely to take a nail.

Again, I'm not even saying it's a violation... I don't know. I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, because I'd think sombody'll stick a nail through it, sure as the world. and I, supposed to be the one who knows what he's doing, should have realized that and made some effort to prevent it.:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That would depend on the framing, ceiling and wall thickness (2 layers of 5/8" rock) etc, besides here in MA the distance is reduced to 3/4" :grin:
But the more typical single layer of 5/8" rock would result in a violation even in MA:D

I've done this a few times, working closely with the trim carpenter.Never had a problem. When you're doing remodeling, especially in an old home (80+ years) you have to get creative.:grin:

I also agree with the statement that MC doesn't provided anymore protection then NM, especially when it comes to screws or pneumatic nailing. It's also much more difficult to connect. Why bother?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
I've done this a few times, working closely with the trim carpenter.Never had a problem. When you're doing remodeling, especially in an old home (80+ years) you have to get creative.:grin:

In most cases around here, you aren't working closely with the trim carpenter. I think that sleeving it in emt is actually as fast as putting it up with straps or staples (I'm talking about mc-and its's exposed for a few inches where it turns a corner).

I also agree with the statement that MC doesn't provided anymore protection then NM, especially when it comes to screws or pneumatic nailing. It's also much more difficult to connect. Why bother?

For us, 2 reasons: 1) local code and 2) rodents ! ;)

macmikeman

The use of wood moldings for a "protective" cover over non metalic cable in a certain state I am keeping secret about is still allowed, and is quite common. They sell 3 different sizes of the molding in all the lumber outlets and electrical supply houses. Right now I can see all the nay's coming but there is no difference between this and using the cove molding for the same purpose that I can tell.

guschash

I was just at a house there they ran 1/2" flex behind molding. Looks real nice. He already had acouple rooms done. He had cut holes in the ceiling for can lights and said it was easier than drilling through all the joists with a long bit, which I agree. I did suggest cutting drywall and drilling through studs right below ceiling but after seeing what a nice job he did in the other rooms I changed my mind. I think after seeing what a nice job he did, I would try this the next time if a job like that comes up or suggest it to a home owner.

realolman

FWIW, I noticed in church yesterday that someone drove a nail into the cove molding and hung a wreath 6-8' below it on a piece of monofiliment fishing line.... did it twice.

You'd think a piece of cove molding 15 ' off the floor would be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.