Rooftop lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This was a replacement job. I have done them all over the state of NJ and never put lights on any of them. I don't put them on as it is not a requirement of NEC. Every unit comes with GFCI outlet in it. I always thought that was sufficient. These replacements are priced at just that, the lights are not scope of work. In this case, the existing units have lights and I think he is playing when in Rome... As far as other codes are concerned, as I stated, I haven't had any problems anywhere else.

I took a quick look and I can't find anything required in the current codes. That said, if your replacement was not part of a total gut/remodel and falls under the rehab code, he can't make you add something that wasn't already there. If Rick Napier drops by he can give us the complete skinny.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I took a quick look and I can't find anything required in the current codes. That said, if your replacement was not part of a total gut/remodel and falls under the rehab code, he can't make you add something that wasn't already there. If Rick Napier drops by he can give us the complete skinny.

You are correct, there is nothing in the mechanical or electrical code that requires a light. But like I brought up earlier, it could be by design. Our mall here requires them on all of their AC units, code or not, you're going to put one on if you want to get paid.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You are correct, there is nothing in the mechanical or electrical code that requires a light. But like I brought up earlier, it could be by design. Our mall here requires them on all of their AC units, code or not, you're going to put one on if you want to get paid.

Your points are well taken, but we'd need to hear from the OP regarding what contractual obligations he might have been under. I don't think anyone should let his profit margin get squeezed just to satisfy some AHJ's notion of what "ought" to be done. I pushed back on one project where the AHJ thought that my working on one little corner of the building gave him the right to demand the entire building be brought up to the current code. I had to drag DCA into it, but he finally wised up.

Gaffen99

This job was just a straight change out. There is no spec for a light, nor does the store require one. These replacements are so competitive, there is not a bit of wiggle room for these kind of requests from an inspector. Which brings me here to you guys. Thanks for all your input.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Your points are well taken, but we'd need to hear from the OP regarding what contractual obligations he might have been under. I don't think anyone should let his profit margin get squeezed just to satisfy some AHJ's notion of what "ought" to be done. I pushed back on one project where the AHJ thought that my working on one little corner of the building gave him the right to demand the entire building be brought up to the current code. I had to drag DCA into it, but he finally wised up.

This job was just a straight change out. There is no spec for a light, nor does the store require one. These replacements are so competitive, there is not a bit of wiggle room for these kind of requests from an inspector. Which brings me here to you guys. Thanks for all your input.

And I don't disagree, that you should never let the inspector make up his own rules. But I just try to remind people that just because it's not in the NEC, doesn't mean that it's not a code requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.