Roping in CT Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Does any one have a picture of a CT service showing the conductors roped that you can post?
Every time I do one I forget to take a picture of before its sealed up....
Thanks

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
tom baker said:
High levels of fault current cause the conductors to whip around, roping holds in place.
I never thought about it in a CT can. Conductors enter 1 corner of the can, travel less than 2' through a CT and less than 2' out the other corner. Are you saying the magnetic frields created by a fault would destroy a CT and allow the conductors to whip?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Yes, but the requirements for roping are determined by the CT can mfg and the amount of fault current, so not all CT cans require roping. But the ones I have done have had rope lashing on the conductors.

brian john

In a CT cabinet I would thing adequately bundling the conductors would be difficult due the size of the can and mandatory separation caused by the CT's>

I have never felt cable ties served this purpose as ALL cable ties dry rot over time. No matter what the package says.

chris kennedy

Occupation
quogueelectric said:
I cant see the grounding.
Right next to Al's hand you can see a long bar with a bunch of 3/0's. These land on the neutral bar which in turn has a factory jumper the the Main disco can. Two 3/0's pass back through the 2 nipples and are bonded to the CT can.

Another 3/0 goes to two 10' by 5/8ths copper rods. Thats the 2 round green hand holes.

chris kennedy

Occupation
BryanMD said:
Chris,

Did you enter the top of that can with PVC Male adapters?

It may be an optical illusion but they don't look high enough to be adapting to Myers hubs.
Yes meyers hubs in the top.

Sorry Tom, but this is starting to look like a hijacking.

cadpoint

What is the little 2 x 2 Blue Piece, I thoughts thats where the Fuse or means of disconnects goes, is that it a glorified car fuse ? ? : )

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
BryanMD said:
Chris,

Did you enter the top of that can with PVC Male adapters?

It may be an optical illusion but they don't look high enough to be adapting to Myers hubs.

looking at this picture, you can see the red plastic insulating throats of the myers hub.

DSCN0389.jpg

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
also, someone here does have a picture of roping. i can not remember what the thread was about, but i will think on it more to see if i can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.