Rubber gloves needed for doing voltage testing of 120 VAC receptacles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for everyone's input. As it always seems when it comes to electrical standards and regs, there is never a clear answer. The test probes we have are on a Fluke Model 115 meter which have the finger guards and have the probe caps that need to be taken off in order to fit into the receptacle blade slots. When I look at NFPA 70E, Table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(a) - Arc Flash Hazard Identification for Alternating Current and Direct Current Systems, under the task of "For AC Systems: Work on energized electrical conductors and circuit parts, including voltage testing" it says Arc Flash PPE is required. Then if you go to NFPA 70E, Table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b) - Arc Flash Hazard PPE Categories for AC systems, under other equipment for < 240v it seems to indicate Arc Flash PPE Category 1 which means wearing rubber gloves AND ARC rated clothing of 4 cal ....... way overboard, doesn't make sense. I understand everyone has an opinion one way or the other but my question was are there any specific OSHA or NFPA requirements that an OSHA inspector could cite you if you were not wearing rubber gloves when testing voltage on receptacles?

Let's not stop at gloves. Let's get a full suit on, because, who knows, the added loaded of the tester could cause the connectors at the back of the receptacle to fail, and an arc fault could occur.

If we want to be a 100 percent safe: never drive a car (after all, you're much more likely to be injured in a vehicle accident then electrocuted), don't have electricity in your house, don't have natural gas in your home, don't have a wood burning appliance in your home, etc, etc, etc.

How about some sanity and common sense? Oh yeah, common sense isn't so common anymore.

BTW, this reply isn't pointed at the original poster. It's just my reaction to why we have to even ask the question.

There is absolutely a place for all safety gear. Glasses, eye protection, ear protection was scorned years ago, but it's proven to help keep workers safe. Arc protection safety gear is absolutely needed in some cases. But the safety nazi's can go way overboard, and there's always an industry that would love to make us all buy the latest and greatest (and expensive) "safety" gear. To me, this discussion is in the same vein as the arc-fault debacle.

Last edited:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Certainly because it is the most common voltage around homes where people are unaware of the danger but how many people have electricians have died or been injured from 120v when working it hot. I have done it all my life and never got anything but a light jolt.

My favorite is the old wives tale that the neutral is more deadly than the hot. I had to explain to my old boss that this was because of stupidity not physics.:D

zog

RAB for 120V is "Avoid contact", when using a meter with guarded leads in an outlet IMO you can safely say you can avoid contact with exposed energized parts therefore no shock protection is required.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
This seems a little over the top, but what about if, say you needed to check the voltage at the terminals of a switch or a receptacle? I am of the opinion that nowadays you at minimum need a fire resistant shirt gloves and a face shield to satisfy OSHA And a full suit if you need to open up a hot panel or a disconnect.

captainwireman

The OSHA "269" standard (1910.269(l)(2)(i) and (l)(3)) is for electrical work on or near exposed energized parts. I see your point when you state that the probes will become live when they come in contact with the live parts of the receptacle but wouldn't, by the fact the distance inserted would make this energized probe incapable of being an "exposed energized part" by definition? This would also apply to a male cord end inserted in the same way.
Exposed (as applied to live parts) ? Capable of being inadvertently touched or approached
nearer than a safe distance by a person. It is applied to parts that are not suitably guarded,
isolated, or insulated. (2004 NFPA 70E)
I believe this is the intent of the code. It would be an intentional contact. Particularly with the testing requirement that only qualified individuals do said testing. Opinions?

I agree w/ the several comments that since the RAB is "avoid contact" for 120vac and that we are using 600v rated test probes w/ finger guards that come with the Fluke Model 115 meter we are using, that its no more hazardous, actually, I think safer, than someone plugging in a plug from an appliance into the receptacle. And when I take in account that all the receptacles we are testing in the class are protected by a Class A GFCI, I shouldn't need to wear rubber insulated gloves to test.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Let's not stop at gloves. Let's get a full suit on, because, who knows..... this discussion is in the same vein as the arc-fault debacle.

that's where my head went....

what i really, really wish, is that there was a blanket guarantee i could sign,
and wear a signed, notarized one, silkscreened onto my work shirts, that
says i hold harmless anyone other than myself as the result of any action
i take without following all the mind numbing rules, and can you please
remain quiet, and let me get something done here?

a small dysfunctional lawyer yapping in the background is not an adequate
substitute for field skills and common sense.

Edward-BSC

NFPA 70E

NFPA 70E

I don't know osha rules but I agree with you that gloves seem to be overkill esp. if the device isn't opened.

I believe OSHA would look to the NFPA for an answer. I have been doing some research for our company electrical safety policy and think this might be relevant:

2012 Edition of NFPA 70E Table 130.7(C)(15)a Hazard/Risk Category Classifications and Use of Rubber Insulating Gloves

Panelbords and Other Equipment Rated 240 V and below, AC.

Work on energized electrical conductors and circuit parts, including voltage testing is a Hazard Catagory 1 which would require rubber gloves (and I am assuming rubber gloves are always used with leather gloves). But perhaps a simpler explanation is PPE for Hazard Catagory 0 and that is Leather gloves for hand protection. While elsewhere meters are considered to be cared for like PPE, there is no note stating that an insulated meter is sufficient hand protection.

The method by which a device is opened also changes the hazard rating. In this regard, opening a hinged door to expose bare conductors is a Haz Cat of 0, but unscrewing a cover to expose bare conductors is a Haz Cat of 1.

Does this help? I often find more questions when answered are given...

Edward

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Certainly because it is the most common voltage around homes where people are unaware of the danger but how many people have electricians have died or been injured from 120v when working it hot. I have done it all my life and never got anything but a light jolt.

I don't have time to read all of the posts, but....last year I was called out to a residence (I worked for the local utility) for a fatality where the fire dept. wanted the POCO to disconnect the service. When I got there, the fire dept was already gone, all of the breakers in the combo panel were off (fire dept turned everything off) and a dead guy was laying on the floor in his underwear and stocking feet with burns on both hands. He was doing remodeling and his daughter called the police because he wasn't answering his phone. They saw the body through the window and called the POCO and the FD. Turns out, the guy was wiring in the downstairs, got across 240V and made it to the front door before he collapsed and died. Coroner called me to ask what I thought. I told him that likely the guy got across a hot circuit, got zapped, his heart went into fibrillation, and he made it to the front door before he passed out and died. Easy to look backward and say he should have....blah, blah,. but the bottom line is, better safe than sorry. Especially with inexperienced people. Do I wear gloves when testing 120V...no. Would I recommend my wife or kids to wear it? YUP! Just me, though.

mivey

a small dysfunctional lawyer yapping in the background is not an adequate
substitute for field skills and common sense.
I agree. It seems we have to lower the bar for everybody. Unfortunately that is the case with most things now-a-days.

dman504

Typically when electricians are verifiying voltages on 750VAC and below, leather gloves are what is required. Rubber insulating gloves are only required above 750VAC. This of course assumes that these are electrically qualified people and are aware of the hazards of the tasks that they are about to perform as well as the proper mitigations to those hazards. For the purpose of teaching, and covering your butt, you may want to prepare a procedure for the process which outlines things like:
-visually checking out the meter and the leads for any signs of wear and tear
-the importance of having the meter on the proper setting
-proper protective wear for the task (leather gloves/safety glasses/long sleeve cotton)
I know this takes what "seems" like a fairly simple task and puts a whole lot of pomp & circumstance around it, but the truth is that electricity has some serious potential (pun intended) to cause some very serious damage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And I can't imagine a case where working with an energized #12 or 14 wire would be permitted.
Not permitted but it is the way of the world in residential work. Sometimes it is easier to work one think hot then spend 5 minutes looking for the breaker.

Besides that this was a response to the op's question about using gloves on it. Regardless of the rule that would be an impossible task

Is there an OSHA 1910/1926 or NFPA 70E requirement for having to wear rubber insulating gloves when measuring 120 vac on a receptacle using a 600V rated VOM ?

justdoc

wearing rubber gloves

wearing rubber gloves

I am going back a few years so I will stand to be corrected on this

Before having my gift box of Agent Orange opened up on me which was in 2010
I worked for a rather large company as a maintenance mechanic
They suddenly send a policy down that not only did we have to start wearing rubber gloves to even test 120 volt circuits
We had to wear a face shield and have someone nearby until we were done
We had to also wear a cotton hood that completely cover the head and neck only our eyes and nose were exposed
Latter the Arc Flash rule came along and we all had to wear cotton made products
This company followed the law very close.
Keep in mind even of the NEC or group does not have a law there is still the CFR's that can be used

I saw a comment or two about waiving the right to sue if a person got hurt
I understand what you are saying the problem is you can't waive the families right to sue a company if you get hurt or killed

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Besides that this was a response to the op's question about using gloves on it. Regardless of the rule that would be an impossible task
Not impossible, just more difficult and would take longer.

When I did my hazmat tech B class, we were fully suited up and that included 5 layers of gloves. They tossed coins on the street and we had to pick them up. That set up had much less dexterity than voltage rated gloves and the leather protectors.

The biggest issue with the use of voltage rated gloves is in many cases the company uses a one size fits all scheme. If you have the correct size they are much easier to work in. Also the use of a Class 00 or 0 glove for the lower voltages also makes it easier to work with the gloves on.

requirement for having to wear rubber insulating gloves

requirement for having to wear rubber insulating gloves

Is there an OSHA 1910/1926 or NFPA 70E requirement for having to wear rubber insulating gloves when measuring 120 vac on a receptacle using a 600V rated VOM ?

Let's look at what your students are going to remember from the lesson. "We did not wear HV insulating gloves in class, they must not be necessary." A wise person once told me that with students "more is caught than taught". Your students will mimic the example you set.

As far as the "finger safe" concept, will this ALWAYS be the case? NFPA 70E and OSHA require a risk assessment procedure. Until the risk assessment is complete, we have to treat the task as hazardous. I say wear the Class 0 gloves and protectors.

Check out NFPA 70E 130.3, 130.4, 130.7(C)(7)(a).

Remember 70E sets the hazardous voltage level at 50 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.