Running Romex in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

horrorsix

I'm doing some electrical work at this electronic manufacturing facility. I noticed that whoever did the electric before me ran 12-2 Romex in 1/2" EMT. Does this meet code. I didn't think Romex in conduit was to code. If not why? Is it a heat related thing?

480sparky

horrorsix said:
I'm doing some electrical work at this electronic manufacturing facility. I noticed that whoever did the electric before me ran 12-2 Romex in 1/2" EMT. Does this meet code. I didn't think Romex in conduit was to code. If not why? Is it a heat related thing?

NM is allowed in pipe, but it usually isn't done because of fill issues. That, and theres no rainbow of colors available.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's perfectly fine.

See any of the 3xx.22 sections, for example 358.22

358.22 Number of Conductors
The number of conductors shall not exceed that permitted by the percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.
Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is not prohibited by the respective cable articles. The number of cables shall not exceed the allowable percentage fill specified in Table 1, Chapter 9.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
roger said:
It's perfectly fine.

See any of the 3xx.22 sections, for example 358.22
Roger

Hey Roger

Do you have the chart that had been posted with the dimensions of nm. I would guess that 12 nm will be overfill for 1/2" emt. Just a guess.

I also bet a residential guy did that job. :grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Hey Roger

Do you have the chart that had been posted with the dimensions of nm. I would guess that 12 nm will be overfill for 1/2" emt. Just a guess.

Dennis I don't have the chart but I do remember it

Dennis Alwon said:
I also bet a residential guy did that job. :grin:

Very possibly the case. :wink:

Roger

mdshunk

14-2 NMB .1018
12-2 NMB .1320
10-2 NMB .1917
8-2 NMB .2942
6-2 NMB .3664
14-3 NMB .0740
12-3 NMB .0946
10-3 NMB .1399
8-3 NMB .2507
6-3 NMB .3318
14-2 UF .1405
12-2 UF .1684
10-2 UF .2107
8-2 UF .3610
6-2 UF .4657
14-3 UF .2651
12-3 UF .3078
10-3 UF .4151
8-3 UF .8808
6-3 UF 1.1747

Don't forget that it's 53% for one cable.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
mdshunk said:
14-2 NMB .1018
12-2 NMB .1320
10-2 NMB .1917
8-2 NMB .2942
6-2 NMB .3664
14-3 NMB .0740
12-3 NMB .0946
10-3 NMB .1399
8-3 NMB .2507
6-3 NMB .3318
14-2 UF .1405
12-2 UF .1684
10-2 UF .2107
8-2 UF .3610
6-2 UF .4657
14-3 UF .2651
12-3 UF .3078
10-3 UF .4151
8-3 UF .8808
6-3 UF 1.1747

Don't forget that it's 53% for one cable.

What type of dimensions are these? Noticed that 14-2 is greater than 14-3. As is 12

mdshunk

ptonsparky said:
What type of dimensions are these? Noticed that 14-2 is greater than 14-3. As is 12
Those numbers are the cross sectional area in inches. Yes, the 14-2 is greater than the 14-3, since you use the major dimension of flat cables as the diameter to calculate the cross sectional area. The chart was extrapolated from manufacturer's catalogs and field measurements. Your mileage may vary slightly, but probably not enough to matter.

Buck Parrish

[QUOTEIs it a heat related thing?[/QUOTE]
Yes it's allowed . but you must follow the charts & table in chapter nine, because of the heat issue.

Buck Parrish

scottysolar said:
isnt the conuit being used only for the protection of a cable assemble ?
Yes . What's your point?
A manufacturing facility "might" need it every where. It doesn't matter if it's thhn or romex it still has to be protected.

76nemo

I've pulled 12-2 NM in 1/2" several times. There isn't anymore room to stuff anything else in 1/2". It's an easy transition on a resi job when you aren't carrying spools. I'd rather see pipe in basements than unprotected NM.

Guess I am one of the nimwits who doesn't like seeing NM run without any other protection. Behind walls is one thing, exposed is another. Outside the scope of physical damage is a hard line to draw.

One circuit per pipe may cost the HO a little more dough, but I personally would rather see pipe work in exposed scenario's.

Minuteman

76nemo said:
Guess I am one of the nimwits who doesn't like seeing NM run without any other protection. Behind walls is one thing, exposed is another. Outside the scope of physical damage is a hard line to draw.

One circuit per pipe may cost the HO a little more dough, but I personally would rather see pipe work in exposed scenario's.
I recently wired a horse barn. Installed 4" square boxes with R.S covers and ran 1/2" EMT to everything below 10'. Installed the romex in the EMT and ran it exposed above 10". Guess I'm a nimwit too. :rolleyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Minuteman said:
I recently wired a horse barn. Installed 4" square boxes with R.S covers and ran 1/2" EMT to everything below 10'. Installed the romex in the EMT and ran it exposed above 10". Guess I'm a nimwit too. :rolleyes:

Sleeeving the romex in pipe is one thing but the Op is talking about a complete raceway with NM cable in it. Seems excessive....

Not sure nm cable is allowed in a horse barn????

ARTICLE 547 Agricultural Buildings
547.1 Scope.
The provisions of this article shall apply to the following agricultural buildings or that part of a building or adjacent areas of similar or like nature as specified in 547.1(A) and (B).
(A) Excessive Dust and Dust with Water. Agricultural buildings where excessive dust and dust with water may accumulate, including all areas of poultry, livestock, and fish confinement systems, where litter dust or feed dust, including mineral feed particles, may accumulate.

547.5 Wiring Methods.
(A) Wiring Systems. Types UF, NMC, copper SE cables, jacketed Type MC cable, rigid nonmetallic conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or other cables or raceways suitable for the location, with approved termination fittings, shall be the wiring methods employed. The wiring methods of Article 502, Part II, shall be permitted for areas described in 547.1(A).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Minuteman said:
See.... I told ya I am a nimwit.

LOL....Don't feel bad I think we all have done it. I see it all over the place without ill effect. Not endorsing it but I do believe it is not code compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.