Securing NM wires entering service panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see any confusion, there is a joist above the panel with a horizonal hole and NM cable in the hole. The distance to the panel is less than 12". A support on the cable is still required.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Is there no product available that could be put in the hole in the joist to make the wire(s) "securely fastened in place by an approved means" there? That would be enough, since the hole in the joist is already less than 12" from the panel.

Heck you could fasten a beveled piece of wood to the face of the joist with its top at the bottom of the hole(s) and staple the wires as they pass over it. Not sure if that would be any easier than the usual 2x4 method already discussed.

How about a cable tie with a screw hole, tighten it around the wire(s) and face screw it to the joist. Would that be an "approved means"?

Cheers, Wayne

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I don't see any confusion, there is a joist above the panel with a horizonal hole and NM cable in the hole. The distance to the panel is less than 12". A support on the cable is still required.

Yes. I agree. The "and" in 334.30(A) requires it, in my opinion.

334.30(A) Horizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In other than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with 300.4 shall be considered to be supported and secured where such support does not exceed 1.4-m (41⁄2-ft) intervals and the nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other nonmetallic sheathed cable termination.

What I don't get is why the area of the JOIST below the holes in the joist and above the panel is not used for staples, stackers or Caddy CJ6s (Colorado Jims)?

If there's four inches from the panel top to the joist, then there's about 7-8 inches of joist to attach to.

Yes. I agree. The "and" in 334.30(A) requires it, in my opinion.

What I don't get is why the area of the JOIST below the holes in the joist and above the panel is not used for staples, stackers or Caddy CJ6s (Colorado Jims)?

If there's four inches from the panel top to the joist, then there's about 7-8 inches of joist to attach to.

Holes in the joists are too close to the bottom and not enough wire length to make new holes higher on the joists

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Holes in the joists are too close to the bottom and not enough wire length to make new holes higher on the joists

Do you have the required 1-1/4" of joist between the bottom edge of the hole and the bottom face of the joist?

Status
Not open for further replies.