Service Cables In Junction Boxes

Chris1122

Occupation
Electrical
The below statement is from an inspector. Does anyone know of any code that would contradict this statement? We have service cables to a transfer switch and feeders from a transfer switch to a main panel in the same junction box.

"I’m not aware of any instance where the NEC permits service, feeder , and branch circuit conductors to occupy the same junction box space"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't have my code book but i believe that the limit is only for raceways. {230.7}?

Chris1122

Occupation
Electrical
I don't have my code book but i believe that the limit is only for raceways. {230.7}?
I agree, but the inspector says that the junction box could be used as a raceway. Here is the entire response:

"I understand your statement concerning junction boxes not being considered raceways ( although they could be used as raceway purposes ) - However, I do believe it is the intention of the NEC to limit the mixing of service, feeder, and branch circuit conductors to the gutter spaces of panel board cabinets and other electrical equipment enclosures containing the service equipment and has been the practice within this jurisdiction for quite some time. I’m not aware of any instance where the NEC permits service, feeder , and branch circuit conductors to occupy the same junction box space."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A junction box is not a raceway regardless of how it's used. If they're enforcing the NEC as written the inspector is incorrect.

Chris1122

Occupation
Electrical
A junction box is not a raceway regardless of how it's used. If they're enforcing the NEC as written the inspector is incorrect.
I agree, but how do I articulate that? I cannot find a black and white NEC definition of a junction box or anything that says a junction box is not a raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Some junction boxes and all cabinets that panelboards are installed in are covered by Article 312. If the inspector is correct, you could never install a service because you will always have conductors other than service conductors in the same enclosure.
This is the very reason why 230.7 only applies to raceways.
In addition, there were two Public Inputs for the 2023 code that would have added the following to this section.

"auxiliary gutters, outlet, pull or junction box, cabinet, panelboard"

If CMP 10 wanted intended to include pull and junctions boxes in 230.70, they would have accepted or accepted in part, those Public Inputs.